Author Topic: Chain adjustment  (Read 27585 times)

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
Re: Chain adjustment
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 04:20:34 pm »
Noram (600) clutch parts are very limited through 600.  these clutches are also used in the Mini-Cup cars.  A good source for clutch parts is APS Karting. The link to their clutch parts page is:

http://host179.ebm.bestsoftwarehost.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?

Replace the fiber washers often, the washer will help keep grease off the shoes and drum.
For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 11:09:48 pm »
We have been using chain tentioners in 1/4 migets for years and now in mimi sprints, simple fix for chain and suspenion movement.TELL INEX WHAT YOU NEED!!!

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 11:14:14 am »
UP Date On Chain Tensioner----$14.95 on Ebay --Installed one on kart, bolted to engine (Briggs) reversed clutch to inside, chain lined up easy no problem works great.

Offline Team510Racing.com

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 07:14:07 pm »
Does anyone know how much the roller ring is ? Is it 600 legal?
Paul McCollum

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 10:16:11 pm »
That roller ring is ungodly expensive. You can build a cheap tensioner from an old skateboard wheel and afew bit you likely have laying around the garage.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 11:28:56 pm »
I'm sure 600 will not approve any type of tensioner or roller.  If you adjust the chain properly, keep it lubed, keep the engine secure and make sure it is aligned,  you should have no problems.  We have raced 60+ races including 15 road courses withour a single chain or sprocket failure.  We do spend a lot of effort on the chain and sprockets.  It is the nature of the beast.. 

The most common problem I see is adjusting the chain to tight.  With the driver in the car, car on level ground, the chain should have up and down movement of 3/4". 
For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline AllenSpeed

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 01:46:48 am »
Ran across this info awhile back:

http://www.chopperweb.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17620&highlight=Chain+Tensioner

http://www.renold.com/Products/TransmissionChainSprockets/Roll_Ring.asp?MenuLinkID=614&MenuID=39&gclid=CPjo9aCmvo4CFQ4cHgod2AJv0Q

http://www.pobcoplastics.com/snapidle.htm

There is also the skateboard wheel and spring idea that works pretty well.

Just tossin' out some ideas for you Geoff.
Hope that helps!
If not, PM or email. I'll see what else I have on chain tensioners.

Steve

Just a heads up.  These three links do not work anymore.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 09:14:17 am »
Unfortunately, most of our Bando threads are from years past. :'(
Roughly, 1/2" of play in the chain (top to bottom).
I would likely shoot for somewhere in the 3/8th" range. Just me though.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline AllenSpeed

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2018, 11:44:09 pm »
Yes, chain tension must have 3/4" to 1" slack.  Place your driver in the car and put the wooden wedges underneath BOTH bird cages.  Mark the wedges if you desire to make chain adjustments in the future without the driver.  When you get the chain where you want it (3/4" to 1" slack), tighten the left side wing bolt until it touches the engine base.  Then tighten the nut on the same wing bolt.  I would put the driver in the car and remove the wooden wedges, if the chain is still where you want it, then get a white paint pen and mark the threads on the wing bolt right behind the nut.  The next time you need to make a chain adjustment you can just crack the nut on the wing bolt then loosen the wing bolt by hand.  To put the chain at the same tension just tighten the wing bolt by hand with the nut in its marked place on the threads.  The chain tension will be correct, unless you have changed ride height, spring rates, driver's weight, clutch drum(clutch sprocket), axle sprocket (gear), and/or wheel base.

I have noticed that when the chain is too tight the bearings in the clutch drum seize up very quickly.  When the chain is too loose the chain eats the teeth off of the clutch drum and the axle gear.

Here is what I have to REMEMBER:
EVER TIME I change the spring rates and/or ride heights.... CHECK THE CHAIN TENSION WITH THE DRIVER!!!!

Offline CraterTater

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 07:20:59 pm »