Author Topic: From a Modified to a Legend  (Read 13850 times)

Offline dluna11w

From a Modified to a Legend
« on: November 09, 2015, 12:44:25 pm »
I sold my dirt modified 3 years ago to spend more time with my family and such.  I have the itch to get back in and had someone offer me to drive their legend in two weeks.  If things go well, it sounds like I could possibly drive it next season as well.  That being said, I started researching setup and found this site.  I've seen 3 locals makes the switch from modified to legend with no luck at all.  

I scanned the 13 pages for information and I'm finding very different answers to questions compared to what I would have answered if we were talking about a modified.

I HAVE EDITED THIS POST TO REMOVE MY EXAMPLE OF MODIFIED SETUP.  Is it safe to say that everything that worked on tuning a modified with 2 link suspension and solid top link cross over to a legend on dirt?

Thank you!

Offline Earnst85

Re: From a Modified to a Legend
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 04:09:27 pm »
Will you be running on dirt or asphalt?

What track and/or style of track will you be running?
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline dluna11w

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 06:59:49 pm »
Sorry I should have added that.

Dirt 1/4 mile with pretty good banking. Usually tacky for the heats and very slick come feature time.   This particular race will be a day race so I'd guess it might even be a little slick on the heat race. It's a big 1/4 mile and a pretty dominate driver runs the top side while everyone else runs the bottom to middle.  I loved running the top in a Modified, but not sure I'd do so great with the legend because it doesn't seem wise to hit the berm with one of these.

Offline djracing

• Global Moderator
    • DJ Ross Racing
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 10:26:38 am »
Easy to keep momentum up running up top too. These cars are pretty simple to setup. Don't be afraid to make little adjustments to make it feel better for the feature. My favorite thing to do was swap out the RR or LR tire after the heat race to generally take some stagger out for the feature. But for the most part the car was spot on and didn't need anything else.

Offline Jason Treschl Racing

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 12:28:54 pm »
I'd have to second D.J.'s post. I generally changed the RR tire before the feature to remove some stagger. Other than that, I mostly did small adjustments to the cross weight by making 1/4 or 1/2 turn changes on the shock adjusters.
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro
2015 New Senoia Raceway Track Champion-Dirt Legends of GA

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 02:42:03 pm »
Drivers that come from "fendered" cars seems to take to legends easier than those winged maniacs.  I would imagine that your seat time in modifieds will serve you well. You will have to learn what the car likes initially, but you should easily get a feel for how it needs to be run.

As far as how the car will react to dirt, I can only suggest that you "keep it up on the bars".  Modified and late model guys know what I'm talking about.  If you stay out of the gas too much in the corners, legends have a tendency to get tight. You will want to keep the rear broke free while balancing to keep fwd bite. As far as entry, you may or may not have to throw it into the corner. It all depends on your base setup. I personally, do not throw the car on entry. I use a combination of braking and mashing the throttle.

Running the top on a track with a curb is not impossible, it just requires some smarts.  Generally, when running the top, I try to keep the car straighter (more like an asphalt line) and using the curb is able to be done, but remember that the right rear bumper will "catch" the berm if you hang it out too much. An occasional bounce off the berm is okay, but a slider to parking the right rear on the curb will bend the panhard bar easily. Also, jumping, and getting above the cushion into the marbles increases the chance of knocking oil lines off the oil coolers or mudding up the steering rack.

As far as adjustments that the others mentioned, I can't say I agree or disagree.  Yes, in theory the track that goes dry would generally need a tighter car for feature time, but....  If the track lays rubber, you may need to loosen the car for the feature. We have run heavy tracks in the heat race and by feature they took rubber. The American racers sometimes react better to rubber down by freeing up the car.

Ultimately, rely on the knowledge you have with mods. The feel you get from the car will tell you what you need from race to race. As far as your confusion about the rf spring adjustment, I think you must be used to running a solid front axle???  With independent corner suspension (double a-arm), a softer rf spring will loosen the car on entry. I would recommend having your ride heights anywhere between 4 1/4" to 5"+.   High ride heights will let the car roll and transfer weight easier (and keep the right side frame rail from bouncing off the track).

Don't be afraid to make adjustments. Sorry 90Legend, but a 1/4 to 1/2 turn isn't an adjustment, it just makes you feel better.  By the threads on the adjuster, a full turn is only 1/16" in ride height. A 1/16" inch moves your cross weight maybe 0.2%. When I make adjustments, its at least 2 or 3 full turns and makes at least 1% difference in cross weight.

Your first day is gonna be more about feeling out the car than worrying about adjustments. Be smart, have fun, and earn a ride for next year by bringing it home in one piece. Speed will come with more seat time.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline dluna11w

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 03:21:42 pm »
Thank you Chad.  I edited my post above to take out my modified setup example.  It sounds like you would say that a modified and legend would be very similar in setup on dirt.  Thanks again.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 06:41:40 am »
Earnst85,
There might be some confusion here. I'm not talking about making a change on only 1 spring. 1/4 to 1/2 turn adjustment on all 4 springs at the same time. 1/2 turn on all springs yields about a 1% cross change with my setup. I'd also have to add, that is once you have a pretty good baseline setup.
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro

Offline Dirt75

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 08:58:29 am »
I knew you couldn't stay out of it. By your name, I believe you bought my modified. Best advice I can give is to get with Dave and Justin Comer.  I have now been in a Legend for about 4 years and still having trouble shaking old habits from the modified. Much different style. Personally, I am glad I made the switch. MUCH cheaper and having just as much fun. I am now getting to race with my son which is the best thing ever. He beats me regularly! I just use my age as an excuse. Get you a car and come race with us. Great bunch of guys who help each other.
Darrell McWhirter

Offline dluna11w

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 06:25:09 pm »
Darrell,

How are you?  I'm going to be driving the 4D car this weekend.  I hope the weather holds off so that I can give it a shot.  The forecast for Saturday has changed every day so far!

It will be interesting for sure.  I hope to do decent enough to at least be able to give it another shot next year.  I've already watched plenty of video.  It doesn't look like backing it in to the corner like a modified would be the preferred method.  Someone above mentioned keep it on the bars or at least loaded at all times. 

Do you all trail brake to keep it loaded or just never get completely out of the gas, or both?  One fear I have is running around in 3rd gear instead of 4th.  I can ask the car owner but is the transmission ratio wide enough that I would definitely notice if I didn't make it to 4th gear?  I do know there isn't a gear indicator.

Thanks! 

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 09:21:11 am »

Do you all trail brake to keep it loaded or just never get completely out of the gas, or both? 

Both...
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 09:26:54 am »

One fear I have is running around in 3rd gear instead of 4th.  I can ask the car owner but is the transmission ratio wide enough that I would definitely notice if I didn't make it to 4th gear?  I do know there isn't a gear indicator.

You'll know if your still in 3rd. The rev limiter should buzz after the thing screams at you worse than a wife when you forget to do something. The only times I have ever found myself in the wrong gear is in 5th when trying to run 4th. You should be able to tell.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline Dirt75

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 01:12:46 pm »
At Springfield we run in 4th (depending on what rear gear you have).  I will tell you something no one told me when I started. Start in 3rd and shift ;D.  I thought I just sucked at restarts until I found out everyone else was shifting. Your first lap you will think it is going to explode since you are used to a v8. I do not have a gear indicator either. When I first go out I shift thru the gears to fifth, then downshift to 4th. When getting ready to go green I drop to third. I am still paranoid about running in the wrong gear. Here is another video you can check out. It was the last race last year. I wish I would have stayed home.  The good news is, I got a 9 from the Russian Judge for doing a triple with a full twist.     

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 02:43:28 pm »
Driving style is based on your car setup and personal preference. I'm more of a throw the thing into the turn kinda person. You can see that driving style in the video here.

As far as gearing goes, check with other racers to make sure your rear end gear is appropriate for the track. That will be what determines what gear you will use.
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro

Offline dluna11w

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 03:34:16 pm »
That was quite the tumble Darrell.  I sure hope this isn't the result for me on Saturday.  It looks like the weather might just work out for this coming weekend.  It sure has rained a ton though.

90Legend, it definitely looks like you are a toss it all in kind of guy.  I think the saying goes, "Loose is fast."

It's wild to watch you sawing on the wheel and then watch another in-car video of a guy that looks like he is out for a Sunday drive.  I think that's what makes setting up a car so difficult.  What works for one guy might not for another.

anything