Author Topic: Rear Brakes come out of adjustment?  (Read 8630 times)

Offline ZForceRacing01

Rear Brakes come out of adjustment?
« on: September 16, 2015, 07:26:12 pm »
We just an asphalt 3/8's mile 20-30 laps,  we use a good bit of brake. I may use so more than other since I tend to drive in deep.

Every other race I would lose the brake pedal form the brakes going out of adjustment. So we got some advice from a pro who said they are adjusting the brakes every week.

This week we had a lot of cautions, Guess what with 5 to go I'm out of brakes again??? So now I'm think we need to adjust before the feature so I have brakes until the last lap.

Are your brakes going out of adjustment this much? Is there a fix to this?

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline NCSU_racer

Re: Rear Brakes come out of adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 10:05:22 am »
You may have a small air leak in your system. If not that, then is could be a bad wheel cylinder on the rear drums or even a bad master cylinder.  Check you brake fluid stats and make sure it has a high boiling point bc it sounds like if you lost pedal late in the race then it could be boiling. I use Motul RBF600 bc its the best out there. It is expensive though. Good Luck
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 03:40:13 pm »
By saying "going out of adjustment", I am assuming you mean that the adjuster screw is vibrating, turning and making the brake shoes not be pressed to the drums enough.

When we adjust our brakes, we turn the screw until the drum barely rubs on the shoes as you pull the drum on and off.  The way to keep the adjuster screw from turning loose from vibration is to install the spring backwards. The long coiled section of the spring should be over (and in contact) with the "toothed" adjuster plate on the screw. This will "lock it down" and prevent it from turning loose.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 06:54:25 pm »
Yes that is exactly what is happening. We are adjusting same as you, except turning the spring backwards.

Should fix it thanks.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 11:01:30 am »
Flip the springs around
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 05:19:41 am »
10-4

anything