Author Topic: Rear gear conversion?  (Read 6762 times)

Offline Legends16

Rear gear conversion?
« on: July 16, 2015, 08:29:18 am »
Hey guys,

I have a friend willing to give me a rear gear out of a 99 Toyota Tacoma. The truck only has about 50k miles. He thinks its a 10 bolt unit, but also thinks its got a 7.5" ring gear. I'm aware that our cars require a 6.7" ring gear. Brainstorming a bit, this leads me to ask a few questions.

1) Assuming the housing is the same, can this unit be converted over to work in a legend car by simply buying and installing a new ring and pinion gear? Will the bearings need to be replaced, or should they be?

2) Is it even cost effective to do this?

Keep in mind that I have automotive people in my family that could help with this so Ill really only be paying for parts. Just thinking out loud here.

Thanks,

Eric

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Rear gear conversion?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 10:00:35 pm »
Hi Eric,

Nope, Won't work with the 10 bolt rear ends that we run. Wrong size ring and pinion and larger axles and splines.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 08:24:03 am »
Can that stuff be swapped out Steve? Or is that not cost effective?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 08:59:33 am »
Never tried it because it doesn't make economical sense.
You can pick up most rear gears for $250-$300 complete.
USLC, the only place you can buy a new ring & pinion, charges $249.99 just for the gears. Then you need to buy a carrier and everything else used too.
Not worth the time or money to even attempt it in my opinion, if it's even possible, which I would doubt it is.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Legends16

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 12:35:12 pm »
I see.. I didn't realize I had to go through USLC for that stuff and I hadn't yet begun to price out anything.

Oh well, figured Id ask. Thank you Gentlemen.

Eric

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 08:21:05 pm »
USLC for new stuff. eBay, DCR or some of the other Dwarfcar or Legends sites for used stuff. Jim, Randy and Dennis are usually on top of the used stuff.
USLC has a deal with Richmond on the Toyota 10 bolt gears. Can only by through a USLC dealer for new. Kind of messes with other series that use the same rear end. There is also a slight possibility that you may find gears through a wrecking yard.

As Jim pointed out; Would not be cost effective (or Legends legal) to use the truck axles, housings or gears if you are running INEX events.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 04:57:37 pm »
Thanks again Steve. :)

anything