Author Topic: Plug wire problem, repacement? Seals  (Read 9441 times)

Offline blazedog5

Plug wire problem, repacement? Seals
« on: July 06, 2015, 11:50:44 am »
My sons Bando has a MAJOR hesitation on the drop of the green.  Once up to speed he is okay.  The front plug is coming out soaked in fuel, and a couple weeks ago we were flooding and wouldn't start.  Have swapped to new plugs, same.  If we take the soaked plug and run it in the other cylinder, it is fine.  We are leaning to a bad/iffy plug wire as a cause.  Any experience with this?  I t looks to me like we can't change these, do I have to ship my engine to USLC to  get a simple spark plug wire changed?  Any ideas or thoughts ?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Plug wire problem, repacement? Seals
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 08:30:23 pm »
Are you sure it is not a carb problem? Float level, perhaps. Improper adjustment on that carb?

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline blazedog5

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 08:42:33 am »
We are actually running a loaner carb now.  The same results are there.  We worked on our orig carb and cleaned it out etc,, now when we put that on last night we only had a race idle.  It just revs way to high with idle screw all the way back.  But still with a huge hesitation if gassed up.   Gonna tear that carb apart tonight again.   Since we were having issues with 2 carbs we were thinking it wasn't them,,, that is how we came to the plug wire or I guess coil....

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:22:18 pm »
I do not know what the rules allow as far as plug wire replacement. Maybe Mitch, Ed, or someone else can chime in on this. SORRY! Was just giving you my best guess.

Steve.

Offline mch46

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 12:21:50 am »
My guess is its NOT the plug wire or coil, since you don't have the issue all the way through the rpm range.  Since it happened with two different carbs, it makes me believe there is an issue with the engine and/or fuel pump or vacuum line.  The hesitation as soon as you accelerate  indicates a momentary fuel starvation problem.  Is this an open or restricted engine, and how are you running your vacuum line to pulse the fuel pump.  Also, check for a dirty fuel filter.  It sounds like its an issue that only happens at low rpm and when the  pressure drops in the carb as soon as you go to WOT.  Once the rpm increases, thereby causing the carb pressure to increase, the problem goes away.  Just my thoughts.

Offline blazedog5

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 03:57:37 pm »
Interesting, I was going on the thought that it was too much fuel, and it stumbled until RPM went up.  It is a red restrictor plate car.  The fuel filter is new, first thing we changed.  The car was in a nice scuffle the week before the problem surfaced, ended up on his side for a while.  First thought was gunk had stirred up and fouled the filter and or jets.  No such luck, jets were clear and we changed fuel filter with no effect.  Our features are 15 laps, last week even with the hesitation problem we turned the fastest lap of the season (on lap 13) for the beginner Bandos.  But at the drop of the flag we tank for a few seconds.  Was going to tear down carb and check a bad float?  What can you tell me about the vacum and how to check?  Very novice as you know by now !!!  Just picked up new plugs that were recommended that are cooler than the NGK7,, now trying NGKB8ES with a gap of .025

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 08:24:27 pm »
Have you checked your fuel issues yet? Carbs, vaccum conection point, etc.
Would like to hear your results.

Steve