Author Topic: Mirrors  (Read 9948 times)

Offline Jason Treschl Racing

Mirrors
« on: May 28, 2015, 02:49:58 pm »
I'm a big advocate of having mirrors in our cars to be able to make sure you are making clean passes, or getting out of the way of others, (understanding that others may use them differently).

My question is why do most dirt tracks ban mirrors? I would assume if it was just because of blocking, then asphalt tracks would do the same. Any enlightenment would be fantastic.

Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro
2015 New Senoia Raceway Track Champion-Dirt Legends of GA

Offline Earnst85

Re: Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 03:04:12 pm »
Dirt tracks usually have rules to prohibit mirrors mainly for cleanup purposes. If a mirror breaks or falls off, it can get pressed into the track and become a hazard for cutting tires. Its harder to clean up shards of glass out of a clay surface. Its easier to broom it up off of pavement.

Now let the competition start.....

I also believe that real racers run on dirt and they don't need to run mirrors. Dirt racers don't have time to check their makeup while they're slinging it sideways around the track.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 07:15:20 pm »
With Chad on this one. Clean up is hard on a dirt or clay surface. Most dirt tracks I know of prohibit mirrors for this reason.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Jason Treschl Racing

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 06:58:24 am »
That is the answer I was looking for. Thanks guys! Makes complete sense.
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro
2015 New Senoia Raceway Track Champion-Dirt Legends of GA

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 08:33:59 pm »
Not that anything is wrong with mirrors. Blocking and other BS happens regardless of mirrors. I have run pavement with and without mirrors. If you pay attention
to what is happening around you; Then a mirror is not necessary. Just my experience.

Tracks have their rules for different reasons. Just have to go with what rules allow.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 08:57:06 pm »
OK I will bite. Mirrors are a safety item (it is why they are on passenger cars). if they are used for blocking then usually that will be corrected by the person being blocked. As for glass falling on to the race track I have been racing and watching racing for more than 40 years and I can't recall one time of that happening. I would say if it did happen on a dirt track it would be a pain to clean up. We used them at Dirt Nationals for several years and never had a problem. I think it is a dirt thing but that is just my opinion.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline DoubleZero

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 10:28:23 pm »
My input is that is run the rear view mirror and left bullet mirror.  I do not run the right side bullet because the temptation there is to come up the track off the corner when passing.   Not judging distance properly there will cause at least one car to need a front clip and probably two.   I wait until I see the car I pass in the normal rear view mirror.   

This mirror discussion kind of relates to the radio discussion we had months back.  Hope they don't ever allow spotters in Legends.  In my opinion this is the time to learn how to use mirrors.