Author Topic: Need some basic info.  (Read 11783 times)

Offline stevblev

Need some basic info.
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:27:13 am »
Hello all, my name is Steve and I am from Louisville, KY. I am 21 and I work as a machinist at a large job shop here in Louisville. We recently went to a rotating 3 day work week on night shift which gives me 6 days off every other week. So now I am on the hunt for a hobby of some sort that wont be too expensive, but will be fun, and I think Legends may be that hobby. I frequent the Sportsdrome in Clarksville, Indiana and have seen these cool little cars race many times before. But, I am almost clueless as to how these work and to what the expenses may be. I have seen used turn key cars for sale on Racing junk for 4500-10000. I know you have either a 1250 sealed (has to be rebuilt by 600), or 1200 open. And that is about it. We do some large engine work at work, but have the machines for smaller work if needed. I am very mechanically inclined and can make just about anything. How open is this series as far as doing your own work, fabrication, etc. What are the normal expenses for this sport? Are sponsorships out there? Do these cars have clutches? Are they safe? Are the engines relatively durable? Can you just hone and re-ring when they lose compression? What does a normal rebuild cost and what are the rebuild intervals?

Thanks for any info yall may have!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Need some basic info.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 12:35:46 am »
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the site! Lots of good people here on the site.
My best advice is to read through the old threads. Do a search of racing costs and buying a car. Lots of good info!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Jason Treschl Racing

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 06:50:25 am »
I just started racing these last year on dirt and I can run you through some of my weekly costs. As you mentioned, car purchase is anywhere from 4500-10k (I payed around 6k for mine). Bought a set of dirt tires for it (about $450-these things last 1-2 seasons), and some springs (new-about $65 a piece x2= $130). Bought a trailer to tow it in ($3k). New racing suit ($400), hans device ($700), helmet ($350), gloves (30), shoes ($40). That pretty much covered my initial expenses ($11k).

Asphalt tires are gonna end up costing more in the long run because they have to be camber cut to be competitive, so that adds to the per tire price, and also cuts down on tire life. Top teams are buying new tires almost every race, where the budget racers are getting probably 5-7 races on a set.

Beyond that, racing on an almost weekly basis isn't all that expensive unless you have to repair stuff. My local track is fairly close, so gas to/from the track isn't very much. Pit passes run about $25/person (me and my wife), and last place pays out a "free" pit pass for the track, so after the first race, it only costs us 1 pit pass/race. Couple gallons of gas for the racecar each race also.

I can't comment on engine rebuilds prices yet, as I haven't had to do one, but the engines seems to last 1-2 seasons before needing a rebuild if you take care of them (depending on how many races you do). The main this is making sure these things stay cool.
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro
2015 New Senoia Raceway Track Champion-Dirt Legends of GA

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 09:39:54 am »
Everything is relative. This is a spec class, with a spec chassis and strict rules for pickup points, etc, so not a lot of your own fabricating work necessary/allowed.
Sponsorship is all about who you know, and how the community embraces the sport.
Yes, they have clutches, it is a 5 speed transmission.
Personally I feel a lot safer in my Legends car than driving down the street. Went end over end 8 times and broke the fence a few years back and walked away.
Engine durability depends a lot on what you put into it. I've gotten 120+ races out of an engine.
Engine rebuild cost once again depends on what you put into it.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Legends16

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 12:21:15 pm »
Typically from what I've heard the rebuild costs on a 1250 can range from $2500 to $4000 depending on the motors condition. 1200's are about the same, maybe a little higher on the range depending on who does the work.

My budget it pretty tight. For the time being I was able to find a stock 1200 bike motor out of a crashed bike. It will work fine for a while until I can get my built 1200 up and running.

Offline rsrr

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 07:35:10 pm »
Legends are racing at sportsdrome sat night this week,come down and you will have plenty of people to answer all your questions. Ron schoch

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 08:39:51 pm »
Hold you need to be building a Figure 8 car! You will never find a better rush!

We don't have any Figure 8's here in NC so I am in my first year of Legends. My costs have been high this season because I had to buy just about everything and probably bought something I don't need. Like my pyrometer.

First asphalt is expensive, from what I hear dirt is a whole lot more forgiving on the pocketbook. I have a mild camber cut on my tires which help them last longer. You need laps in these cars, they are not easy to drive. I just finished my third race and just now feeling comfortable and starting to make speed. I have three races on my tires, I think I will get two more. From what I hear 3 races is max if you want to win races. I will try a more aggressive cut next time just to see.

The cars are great on gas, burn about two gallons a night maybe. I have been running 93 ethanol free.

The biggest issue I have found from these cars is having to deal with 600 or your local dealer on everything. Lucky for me I'm 30 min from the shop which does help. The other issue they are a whole new animal, they have motorcycle issues not so much car issues. Your local Yamaha dealer doesn't have crap that you need for a 1250.

I have $7500 in the car 2013 model. Motor is suspect on how many races but it s a 1250.

$400 Impact Helmet,
$200 Sparco 3 layer suit got on clearance.
$500 NecksGen, they Had a big sale around Xmas.  
Shoes and gloves are like $150 for both.
$800 for a used open trailer.
$500 for a set of spooled 3.42 gears.
$1000 for used Mig Welder (you will need this)
$500 used scales, $100 to have them recalibrated
$80 Caster camber Gauge
$918 for two sets of Cut tires, bought two since I didn't have any decent spares. Nick Pistone was having a special don't know if they are still that cheap.

I have some other things I purchased but I think the ones listed are either needed or you will need access to them like the welder.

So I had about 12k invested before I hit the track.  

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline stevblev

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 04:43:38 am »
Thanks for all the info guys. A few racers on the forum have PMed me and offered to show me some things about their cars Saturday at the sportsdrome.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 05:20:38 pm »
If you can afford it, absolutely get into legends, these cars are awesome watching all the races makes me miss mine.  Compared to other forms of racing they're relatively inexpensive.  Your biggest expense will be start up costs. Absolutely get the best safety equipment you can get, these are real fast open wheel race cars and hard hits do happen (taking it from experience here).  If you have any questions feel free to pm me.  Also when you do go to buy a car make sure that it has a title, a lot of times people sell them without titles for cheap, this will become a problem for you. 

Dan

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 06:54:52 pm »
Hi Steve,
     Can't believe they still racing at the "drome". Back in the 60's and 70's my wife lived next door to a guy raced late models there and at Louisville Motor speedway. The Kimmels raced there also. After joining the military and being stationed at Ft Know for a while, I would drive down and take my Nephews, who lived across the street, to watch the races. They especially loved the Figure 8 guys.

Offline stevblev

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 07:57:53 am »
Hi Steve,
     Can't believe they still racing at the "drome". Back in the 60's and 70's my wife lived next door to a guy raced late models there and at Louisville Motor speedway. The Kimmels raced there also. After joining the military and being stationed at Ft Know for a while, I would drive down and take my Nephews, who lived across the street, to watch the races. They especially loved the Figure 8 guys.

Yessir the drome is still alive and well. My dad always went there when he was a kid in the 60's and 70's, a friend of his fathers I think raced late models there as well. I have heard my dad also talk about LMS.

Also thanks for the advice on safety equipment Winterracing, ill keep that in mind!

Offline Drokkers

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 11:36:16 am »
Im also from Louisville looking to get into one of these cars. This forum is awesome with tons of great info. Small question, is there any way to subscribe to a thread for this forum? This thread has been helpful along with others. Thanks guys
New to the game, dont care about the fame. Just looking to have fun and to go fast.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 07:42:31 am »
Right side of the latest response to the topic has a "notify" button. Click on that and you will be notified of any new posts
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

anything