Author Topic: First Race!  (Read 10014 times)

Offline ZForceRacing01

First Race!
« on: May 02, 2015, 11:08:34 pm »
So I competed in my first race last night at Anderson Speedway in SC. Let's just say Danica is no danger of losing her ride to me. I learned it's probably not a good idea to try and race a track you have never turned laps on.

We were given 8 practice laps, my goal to be in the back didn't really work since they had 17 of us spread out over the 3/8th mile track. When they said green there was already a dude up my butt. I spent the whole practice just trying to stay out of the way. Which btw I learned I can't see crap out the back of the car, my rear view gives me a good view of my helmet.

Practice #2. is 2 laps of group qualifying which was a wash.

The feature was the first time I got to turn clean laps. I confirmed what I already suspected. I was way under geared. Their 3.42's to my 3.33's in fourth gear, they just left me on the starts and off the corner.

But I got faster with each lap and learned some more.

I will change gears, and take advantage of one of their Tuesday practices I have recently been made light of. The return to battle.

This has been years in the making, glad to have it knocked out.

Hey, I didn't wreck nor cause a wreck so I guess things went well.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline DoubleZero

Re: First Race!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 11:16:40 pm »
I just bought a 3.42 gear and am thinking of running Anderson as well.  If you have any information on the Tuesday practice schedule let me know.   Would be nice to turn a bunch of laps before a real race. 

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 11:45:33 pm »
My understanding is 5-8 PM. $10 bucks a person.

Now order for cars to go out. You line up, first come first serve. Each car runs a few laps, then the next goes out. If there is more of them same class wanting to go out they will allow 3 cars on the track. This is second hand knowledge, not law.

Tuesday 5-8 is good info though. 
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 10:33:20 am »
anybody know if they will have a Saturday practice and/or race before the Nationals? Would be great for some of us that cannot make it on a Friday s or Tuesdays.

Robert

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 06:32:31 pm »
Call the track and ask to speak to Sylvia. She seems to be running things there and probably best answer your question.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 09:01:30 pm »
John,

Congrats on getting your first race down! Things will get better. You already learned the gear choice does not work for you. More seat time will be key to your learning experience.
As far as starts, or restarts;  Stay close. Don't hang back just because you are starting in the back.
Keep us up to date on your progress.

Best of luck!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 03:10:52 am »
Thanks Steve.

Offline DoubleZero

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 07:48:47 pm »
I talked to Sylvia.   They seem very accommodating to drivers.  For example she told me that if we cannot make the Tuesday practice due to travel distance to just call her.  Sometimes they let teams practice on Friday from 10 to noon.    She said that usually happens when they are running late models on Friday night because many of those teams come from far away.   

Offline carwash216

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 02:05:21 pm »
Another reason they might of left you on the starts is, they were in 3rd and you were in 4th. Had that problem at my first race. I run a 3/8 mile track and sometimes we do a 2nd gear start and some time we do a 3rd gear start.

Austin

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 08:14:54 pm »
Pulled gear out and I have a 3.30, not a 3.33. I may have tried to run 3rd gear and see if I can run without hitting the chip. Oh well, I have a 3.42 now and working on getting the spool done.

Offline DoubleZero

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 05:29:16 am »
I practiced at Anderson on May 12.   The 3.42 gear worked well for me.   Great people at that track.   Everyone was very helpful.  Will try to race there in June.    Sounds like a lot of Legends cars turn out.   

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 01:29:26 am »
I had planned to test there yesterday. For some reason they didn't have testing yesterday. I plan to race Concord Friday night and Anderson the next few weeks from there. Got my 3.42's and DGI installed.

What air pressures did you find worked? I have started with 21.5 in the rights and 15.5's in the lefts. That is what the last guy ran so I have just carried on from him. I really wanted to just get some good laps out there before I go changing stuff.

Offline DoubleZero

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 09:54:20 pm »
I run 20psi on the left and 30 on the right no matter what track I run.  I might start a pound of two lower than that at the start or the night and then just check them as heat builds up.    It really depends on the setup you run.  I used to spend time messing with the pyrometer to try to even the temp across the tire.   That is the right way but I found that just focusing on my driving more than the pyrometers made me faster.