LEGENDS > Drivetrain & Gearing

Why not allow a quick change rear?

(1/3) > >>

ZForceRacing01:
These cars run so many different racetracks and use different gears at many of them. Why not go to a quick change rear? The rear end would be a big initials expense but a onetime expense. Then I would figure the gears would be about the same as they are now, but much easier to change and less change for error.

Arguing the intent would be to keep cost down would not be a strong argument. In the short time I have been dealing with these cars I have learned the low cost factor was lost a long time ago. My .02.

justfreaky:
We have a gear chart for many tracks here on the site. Around $2,000 for the quick change and then you have to buy all the different combinations of gear sets.
Most folks  only run a couple of tracks each season and have gears for them. 

Steve

canabl:
we went from running legends to modlites in australia and have the latest winters baby grand quickchange. for us once we get all the brackets, brakes, rotors and gears to get it in the car its almost $4000 AU. a legend diff complete is around the $1500AU. yes the ease to swap out gears is 6 bolts and a top up of oil but the cost difference is not worth the benefits IMO.
We building cars now with the legend 10 bolt housing with a clamp on shock and caliper mount and disc brake setup so we can entice lower budget guys that want more of a dirt race car than a legends converted to run dirt.

tim67:
So my 2 cents...I raced Legends years ago and for the last 10 years Super Lates.  Still have the SLM and will still race it occasionally, but last year bought a Legends to put some fun back into racing.  So I have experience with all types and all associated costs.

This discussion is only productive comparing apples-to-apples.  A race-ready Baby Grand QC rear assembly, including axles and a gear set is in the neighborhood of $2,070, and each additional gear set is $70, so with (1) spare sets of gears you're in for about $2,140.  For Legends, a new double-shear housing, with new axles and a fresh spooled gear is about $1,400.  Add only 1 additional gear set , and you're in for a little over $2,000.  Pretty close to the same.

Add a 3rd set of gears and the total investment in the QC becomes $500 cheaper, and for each (1) additional Legends gear set, you can buy 7 or 8 QS sets.

On straight economics, I pick QC every time.  That doesn't even take into consideration the time and ease of changing gears.  Or ease of storage.  Or yearly maintenance.

Not saying it should happen, but the option would be nice, especially given that Winters has the race-proven parts in their standard catalogue.  Cheers, Tim

ZForceRacing01:

I'm no expert on the quick change rear. I actually had a quick Change transmission in my Figure 8 car. We would run our heats on the Oval and Mains on the Fig 8. So we swapped every race day.

I knew initial cost would be high but figured the more you traveled and more gears accumulated the more the cost would level out. It also gives you options. Say someone has a suggestion to go up or down a gear, you can borrow a gear from a friend and run it in practice that day. If its wrong have it switched back before the main.

Thanks for the input.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version