Author Topic: Valve cover oil leak  (Read 16078 times)

Offline ZForceRacing01

Re: Valve cover oil leak
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 02:37:43 am »
Ok, thanks.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 11:05:55 pm »
Ok, where do I get a replacement Csm journal bolt? I have looked everywhere!

Calling US legends in the morning though. They better have it.

Really pissing me off I have to got to them for damn near everything.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 11:32:51 am »
I have plenty, that I can send you for the price of shipping.

Shoot me an email and I can get them to you early next week.

Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 07:39:01 pm »
I spoke to Bryan in the engine shop. I got it covered, thanks Randy. I will remember your offer to help in the future.

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 06:38:45 am »
Just an update Helicoil installed. If it ever quits raining and the tracks quit weeping I may be able to race the damn thing and let you all know how it all turned out.

Been rained out all but two weeks this season, I had to work both of those weekends.

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 03:29:39 am »
So Valve cover leak endeavors continue. There is a visible leak on the exhaust side near the cam boss.

This head has been repaired, although I have been told work doesn't look all that great. I don't know It just seems they put a lot of weld on there. Though there does not seem to be a problem with the integrity of the weld.

Oil just seeps from under the gasket. A little seeps onto the header and will smoke, but not really notable until after the race. A little will get on the fender. Some of my competitors have expressed interest but have not complained, the track hasn't said anything so I keep racing.

it has got better since I put the helicoil in. My crew chief say lets crank down on the valve cover bolts some more. But cranking down on the valve cover bolts means upward pressure on the cam caps and pulling on those aluminum threads in the head. Already been that route once.

We tried some high temp RTV but it didn't stick. Someone told me of some type of Copper something or another RTV that works real well, but I forgot the whole name.

I think who ever fixed the head didn't do a good job resurfacing where the gasket meets and that good be the problem, even though it look fine looking at it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 06:22:20 am »
put some heat on your head and most likely you find a small hairline crack. These heads are famous for doing this and it will make you think it is the gasket. That is why most of the motors have a plate welded on the cam chain area of the head.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 08:14:05 am »

Oil just seeps from under the gasket. A little seeps onto the header and will smoke, but not really notable until after the race. A little will get on the fender. Some of my competitors have expressed interest but have not complained, the track hasn't said anything so I keep racing.

Please get it fixed. I though mine was just a little leak also.... until....
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

anything