Author Topic: Convert to Dirt for a single race?  (Read 7532 times)

Offline ZForceRacing01

Convert to Dirt for a single race?
« on: March 23, 2015, 07:30:24 am »

Some of you may have seen my post about Mountain View Speedway running Legends. I really want ro race that event, I have always wanted to try dirt racing. If we can get a local track to host legends week to week I would run dirt week to week if I enjoy it as much as I think I will. I love the life you guys get out of your tires and would be a tremendous cost saver for me.

But ATM, this is a one off deal. What do I need to do to my car? Cost is a factor here, I don't want to spend $1000 to prep my car for one race. Also it will have to be converted right back to asphalt. \

Also what can do to make cleanup of my car easier?

All I know about the track is it is 1/4 mile. Medium banking I would say. This track is being reopend after 17 years, I probably won't be able to get too much more info on it.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline Jason Treschl Racing

Re: Convert to Dirt for a single race?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:58:46 am »
The BASICS of a dirt setup include softening the springs, raising ride height, increasing pinion angle, and changing to dirt tires. For a one off race, you can run federals (the more tread left the better). Uncut tires are better than cut.

We also put mesh screens on our grills to keep larger chunks of mud from getting caught up on the engine.

There are a lot of dirt setup tips on the site that should get you close.

As far as clean up goes, clean and wax the body before hand. Keeps the dirt from sticking as much (it will stick no matter what). Be prepared with a pressure washer for clean up afterwards.
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro
2015 New Senoia Raceway Track Champion-Dirt Legends of GA

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 09:07:11 am »
Spray some Mud Off on the car before the race. Can be bought at any race shop, or I stock it also. By the time you get home, most of the dirt will have fallen off and you can wash it like a normal car. I would not recommend a pressure washer.

Set up will vary depending on track conditions. I've seen guys run an asphalt setup on a dry slick/black track and do well
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Jason Treschl Racing

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 01:42:47 pm »
Spray some Mud Off on the car before the race. Can be bought at any race shop, or I stock it also. By the time you get home, most of the dirt will have fallen off and you can wash it like a normal car. I would not recommend a pressure washer.

Set up will vary depending on track conditions. I've seen guys run an asphalt setup on a dry slick/black track and do well

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you use a pressure washer? I've been using one since july, and most others I've talked to around here do the same.
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro
2015 New Senoia Raceway Track Champion-Dirt Legends of GA

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 03:09:30 pm »
I don't like pressure washing around 30 year old electronics (I use the black box and coils).
It will also tend to push the grease out of balljoints and trap water in the ball joint and/or steering rack boots.
Pressure washing a race car is just not something I would personally recommend, to each his own.
I've been using Mud Off for the 8 years that I've been racing Legends on dirt, and by the time I get home, I just have to sweep out the trailer and wash it like a regular car.
Just my 2 cents
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

anything