Author Topic: Bolt on shoulder supports.  (Read 8209 times)

Offline Legends16

Bolt on shoulder supports.
« on: February 24, 2015, 07:28:03 am »
Hey guys,

I brought up this topic a few years back when I was installing shoulder supports to my Kirkey seat. For those of you that arnt running full containment seats, what are you using for shoulder supports?

A few years back I installed a Kirkey shoulder support on the right side (there wasn't room for a left one) and have never been totally satisfied with it. I was expecting it would have a 90 degree bend to it, instead its closer to a 45 degree angle. It feels like my shoulder it a little further away from the padding, more then Id like. I've tried moving it around a little, again I haven't been satisfied with it. I've thought about bending it but according to Kirkey (and many others) that doesn't sound like a good idea,

The Richardson shoulder supports seem to be more of what I'm looking for. Just wanted some thoughts.

Thanks,

Eric

Offline NCSU_racer

Re: Bolt on shoulder supports.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:10:34 am »
I run a Butler full containment seat with bolt on head and shoulder supports. You do need to mount the seat a little further right to accommodate for the should supports but I won't run a car without a full containment seat.
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline DoubleZero

Re: Bolt on shoulder supports.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 12:20:53 pm »
I converted my Richardson seat to a full containment.  Buy the head support and shoulder supports with the stronger aluminum channel.  Then, you need to make a support bracket to connect the two together.  I used 1/8 inch aluminum plate and formed it with a hammer and anvil.   Used grade 8 bolts to connect.   The guys at Richardson talked me through it.   I was able to do both left and right shoulder supports but you will need to pull the seat in and out several times to get it right.   It was a good winter project.....not something you want to try the day before a race.  Ha.  Let me know if you want photos.