Author Topic: Instal of new Metal Fuel Cell  (Read 7359 times)

Offline BlueZo6NVA

Instal of new Metal Fuel Cell
« on: April 03, 2015, 07:10:55 pm »
Guys,
Just got my metal fuel cell and came across a problem - it doesnt seem to fit. 

The round bars that surround the cell start at about 10.5" width at the back, and narrow down to 8" in the front (By front, i mean towards the rear bumper when looking in through the trunk compartment).  Does anyone know what the procedure is for getting this thing in?  I'd hate to have to cut those bars out and mig weld them back into place, but that seems to be the only option at this point.  Any help is appreciated!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Instal of new Metal Fuel Cell
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 07:33:36 pm »
I saw a post awhile back about having to cut the bars and reposition them. I believe that is still what has to be done.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 08:18:16 pm »
I didn't think you were allowed to cut any of the bars in the cars? I know guys that have made a bubble coupe into a regular coupe. Not sure that it legal but who cares really.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline BlueZo6NVA

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 09:00:13 pm »
While doing a search Ive found that other people have had the same issue.  A few years ago there was mention of a kit to help with the install, and also that that it was generally accepted to move the left bar to accommodate the fuel cell.  I guess that means that a new angle iron bar to hold down the cell will be needed too. 

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 09:16:13 pm »
My first car that I bought out of NC back several years (2003) ago had the fuel cell dropped and moved left just ever so slightly. I would have never known but Mike at CMG pointed it out and I moved it back to where it should have been.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline BlueZo6NVA

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 07:36:35 am »
yea - I fully intend to keep it in the same position, I just have to widen those two bars.  The only reason why I'm doing this is for SCCA regs, otherwise I'd keep the black one. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 04:09:53 pm »
I don't think SCCA will complain if you have to move the bars a bit to meet their rules.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline BlueZo6NVA

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 08:44:57 am »
I had the same thought - went ahead and cut everything out.  By the time i'm done it should be better then it was - cant complain about that!

Its amazing that the metal fuel cell doesn't even fit in the cradle, let alone in between those bars.  Going to keep that in mind the next time INEX says "hey, we have this replacement part for you!  Its better and replaces the old one like-for-like; give it a try!"

anything