Author Topic: How You Doing 2015?  (Read 15899 times)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
How You Doing 2015?
« on: December 23, 2014, 10:24:19 pm »
Well, it's that time of year again.
Let everyone know what you are doing to your car in the off season, and post your results for the 2015 season.

Best Wishes in 2015!

Steve

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: How You Doing 2015?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 10:34:40 pm »
Merry Christmas and a Very Safe and Happy New Year to all my friends and family here on LegendsRacer!

Well, the past year did not go well for us. For those of you that have followed along with my project; My "welder" turned out a bust (and very costly). Dave Comer (MoLegends) came through with a chassis for me. This time, I will hire a professional to do my welding.  :-[ Just need to cut the front clip off of my chassis and weld to the new one. Then; Hopefully, it will be all a bolt together project. I did manage to redeck the trailer and add a tool box on the front. On the downside of life, I blew up the engine in my tow vehicle. New engine on my list to Santa.

Post up your rebuilds, new paint schemes and hopes for the upcomming season. You all know how much I love those pics.  ;D

All my best to everyone in 2015!

Steve

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 12:24:47 am »
Still hafta use a 3rd party site to upload picha's on here ??

Drop a Hemi in that Blazer Steve.. one with the 8 ball gear shifter knob stickin out the windshield so we can see the white knuckles, teeth showing and eyeballs popped out from the acceleration and speed !!

~Gimp~

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 08:09:52 am »
Yaaaay! I finally drove the damn car. Rented some track time @ Concord Saturday and got my feet wet. I ran about four 15-20 lap runs and learned a lot. First, I watched a lot of  in car camera videos on youtube in preparation for this test. I tried to use the light poles as my lift points. My intentions were to us the light poles as lift points. That didn't work. What you see on camera Vs. the car is a little different. It was ok going into 1 but not into 3.

As anticipated forward bite would be a problem. Really had to roll on the throttle carefully. Spun her twice coming off the corner. Both times I was trying to find speed by rolling the center and get back to the throttle a bit earlier. Also the spin were quick. Want like I was loose through the corner and lost it. It was like I had it and then it was gone.

Had some transmission trouble. I was shifting with the clutch since I was the only one there and there was no sense beating on her. Previously I had no issues selecting gears, but Saturday when loading and at the track I had trouble switching gears. One time you would pull back and it would pop right in and other times nothing. Both upshifting and down shifting were an issue. More so upshifting. Once in gear though it stayed in gear fine.

Worst part was former Busch driver Mark Green was there and offered to take a look. Dude was a super nice guy BTW. But when he was looking at it the damn thing shifted fine for him. Then I go back out and takes me a damn lap to find 3rd gear again, wtf.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 08:23:37 am »
Part 2 Had to split this into two parts cause the computer was messing up.

I think I was running 14.6 and 14.7's consistently which is still over a half second of the pace. We were on old tires and the temperature was about 50 degrees. I am hoping with new tires and warmer temperatures I can make up about half that .3 or so. Then if I can improve .3 I should be competitive. I am trying to let her roll the center but off the brakes she gets real loose. On the brakes she is very neutral.

Lastly, these cars are pretty darn uncomfortable to drive. I am only 68" and my knees feels like they are in my chest. My left leg started cramping just trying to keep it off the brake pedal. My seat is on the firewall. I don’t know how you taller guys do it. This will take some getting used to. Sitting in the car and driving the car was two different worlds.

I have a 15" steering wheel I want to try a smaller one. It may help me reposition my legs so I'm more comfortable.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

Offline auslegend

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 08:42:38 am »
This is my second season in legends and my 2014/15 season is off to a good start i started the season with a new car a 34 coupe race it twice but didn't like the feel of the car so transferred the near new 1250cc into my old car a 2 bar 37 ford and run it, it suits my driving style allot better then the coupe, first meet back in old car and won the feature and $1000 i was so glad i went back to old car. now after 17 meets i have had one meet where i finished out of the top 5 with a 8th spot finish due to coil problems. I am currently leading 3 out of the 4 pro championships in Australia and am going to give it my best shot this year at the inex dirt championship here in Australia. There is still 14 more races for the season so still a long way to go, hope my luck holds up for the rest of the season
To finish 1st, 1st you have to finish

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 12:44:47 pm »
Rob,

Congratulations! Sounds like you are having a great season.
Keep up the good work!

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 12:49:07 pm »
John,

There are a couple of old threads that deal with repositioning the steering wheel. Perhaps those will give you some ideas on the comfort issue.

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 01:29:11 pm »
Part 2 Had to split this into two parts cause the computer was messing up.

I think I was running 14.6 and 14.7's consistently which is still over a half second of the pace. We were on old tires and the temperature was about 50 degrees. I am hoping with new tires and warmer temperatures I can make up about half that .3 or so. Then if I can improve .3 I should be competitive. I am trying to let her roll the center but off the brakes she gets real loose. On the brakes she is very neutral.

Lastly, these cars are pretty darn uncomfortable to drive. I am only 68" and my knees feels like they are in my chest. My left leg started cramping just trying to keep it off the brake pedal. My seat is on the firewall. I don’t know how you taller guys do it. This will take some getting used to. Sitting in the car and driving the car was two different worlds.

I have a 15" steering wheel I want to try a smaller one. It may help me reposition my legs so I'm more comfortable.

What degree of layback do you have on your seat?
I'm 6'1" and 250# and am very comfortable. More driver room in my Legends car than in a friend of mine's modified
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 02:24:03 pm »
I'm not sure of the layback. That is something for me to check on. What degree lay back do you use?

I had a cockpit style I guess you could call it in my Fig 8 Car years ago.

Have any of you guys removed the right brake pedal? I have trouble pressing it with out the throttle being in the way. 

I think this car will just take some getting used to, I knew they were small when I bought it. Hell the final decsion to go Legends racing was the small amount of space it would take up in my garage. Plenty of room to work on her and have make the wife park outisde.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 04:31:40 pm »
I'm not sure of the layback. That is something for me to check on. What degree lay back do you use?

I had a cockpit style I guess you could call it in my Fig 8 Car years ago.

Have any of you guys removed the right brake pedal? I have trouble pressing it with out the throttle being in the way. 

I think this car will just take some getting used to, I knew they were small when I bought it. Hell the final decsion to go Legends racing was the small amount of space it would take up in my garage. Plenty of room to work on her and have make the wife park outisde.

I use a 10 degree layback
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 04:34:01 pm »
Thanks Jim.

Offline JLowe18

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 03:54:48 pm »
If you are running 6's & 7's on old tires the first time out you are not doing bad. Are you going to be in the Semi-Pro class? I think those lap times are what the tail end of the Semi-Pros lap times now. If you pick up .3 you should be mid pack.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 06:39:30 pm »
John is a bit of a worry wart. Get the car set up and comfortable for you and will pick up .3 easy.
Look forward to you getting more time in the car and watching your results.
As I have have never raced there, I do not know what lap times are normally run there; But sounds like you are doing ok.

Steve

Offline canabl

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 11:05:27 pm »
This is my second season in legends and my 2014/15 season is off to a good start i started the season with a new car a 34 coupe race it twice but didn't like the feel of the car so transferred the near new 1250cc into my old car a 2 bar 37 ford and run it, it suits my driving style allot better then the coupe, first meet back in old car and won the feature and $1000 i was so glad i went back to old car. now after 17 meets i have had one meet where i finished out of the top 5 with a 8th spot finish due to coil problems. I am currently leading 3 out of the 4 pro championships in Australia and am going to give it my best shot this year at the inex dirt championship here in Australia. There is still 14 more races for the season so still a long way to go, hope my luck holds up for the rest of the season
Got yourself a very good motor as part of the package with my coupe. The sedans always seem to suit most guys driving here as they are very relaxed opposed to the twitch in the coupe.
Been some good racing out here and a number of people starting to get grasp on racing clean and straight.