Author Topic: Go Pro Vs. Replay Prime X in car camera  (Read 10517 times)

Offline ZForceRacing01

Go Pro Vs. Replay Prime X in car camera
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:13:05 pm »
I plan to use an an in car camera for my races next year. I think it will be a great learning tool for me. I know many use the go pro and it seems to be a proven product.

This replay prime x is much cheaper and I have beard some good things as well. anyone using it? Which model?

Anyone reason I shouldn't go with the cheaper reaply model? I'm leaning in that direction.

I seen the replay on the slide of a semi auto handgun. It is can handle that violent motion it should handle the vibration of a race car.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline ajagoditsh

Re: Go Pro Vs. Replay Prime X in car camera
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 03:40:37 am »
Just make sure whatever camera you end up using,  your gauges and your hands are not visible.  Apparently that is a rule now. Good luck.

Tony
Tony Jagoditsh

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 07:45:51 pm »
Tony, that has been the rule at Beaver Dam since the day I showed up with the first Go Pro they ever saw, it just wasn't strictly enforced until everyone had one and started putting all their videos on YouTube so the track could see them.

I have never used anything but a GoPro, even after they yanked the dealerships out from under all the small businesses that got them to where they are today.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline canabl

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 09:13:02 pm »
so why was rule brought in to not allow guages or hands to be visible?
We have always used gopro cameras and a good setup tool to see what and hear how the car is setup. replay a good product but mounts differently to gopro so not many products out there compared

Offline ajagoditsh

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 12:53:23 am »
Sorry, I was told it was an INEX rule. Obviously bad info. Good, I can use my gopro in ND. If I can find it that is. ???

Tony
Tony Jagoditsh

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 10:58:48 am »
OK, I'll Bite. Why the hell would it matter if you can see your and or gauges? Like many others I'm doing this to improve my learing curve. The more driver feedback I have the better the quicker my crew chief and I can make the car better.

I'm confused of why this of why this is a big deal.

Thanks on the info on the cameras though guys.

For the guys susing gopros are you roof or cockpit mounting them?   
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 11:41:07 am »
I roof m0unt mine. Running on dirt, the vibration of the screen really took away from the picture when dash mounting, plus you can see lot more of what is going on around you when the camera is outside.  Flipped the car and ripped the camera off the roof, and it still kept working

The idea behind the rule is exactly that, you can see and record everything, so in theory the camera is being used as a data acquisition or telemetry device, which is illegal, therefore mounting the camera where driver input and gauges are visible illegal. It is a great tool to improve your driving

I don't write the rules, just follow them
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 04:26:20 pm »
What is the rule number? I use both in car (on the halo of my seat) and roof mounts.
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 05:23:03 pm »
It is not an INEX rule, is a rule one of our local WI tracks put in place back in 08-09
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline canabl

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 06:50:44 pm »
We mount one on the pillar right side next to driver facing forwards, have another mounted ontop of frame of the left door at front facing back (to see who tags u mid corner) another we had mounted onto the roof at front for features to get look at the race from clear view and lastly another that was mounted left front side step support facing back.
Had a few bingles and never lost one to date. Just bought older replay xd1080 online for $150 shipped in Australia, this will be used on our new car in rear end to get look at how it all moves around during event.

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 06:12:41 am »
Damn man you making a documentary, lol.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 06:47:13 am »
Why would they make a rule like that Jim? The more exposure they get would be good wouldn't it?  It also is a great training tool and makes it all party involved in an incident clear what happened.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 11:57:35 am »
Why would they make a rule like that Jim? The more exposure they get would be good wouldn't it?  It also is a great training tool and makes it all party involved in an incident clear what happened.

:-X
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline canabl

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 06:31:38 pm »
I worked in television doing camera for a v8 supercar series over here in australia. Always been looking for some good or different angles but mostly find myself screaming at the screen saying why so far off bumper of car at starts or why lift now going into corners.....