Author Topic: Do I have an FJ or XJ  (Read 13531 times)

Offline JGRacing

Do I have an FJ or XJ
« on: February 26, 2008, 10:06:54 am »
How do I verify if I have an FJ or XJ motor?  The serial number on the motor starts with 4JN if it helps.    

Offline thunder938

Re: Do I have an FJ or XJ
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:22:56 am »
fj..
Dave

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 01:57:32 pm »
 So does that mean that "IF" your serial # is 4X........... that it is a XJ engine?

Still engine searching. As my build isn't "Legends Legal" , I am not limited to a certain engine.
Just Curious!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline bishop

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 02:28:44 pm »
The FJ uses the shorter clutch rod, slave bracket and shift rod. People change the clutch rod and slave bracket but not usually the shift rods, although it can be done.

I think the XJ used the polished aluminum valve cover as well but those are easily changed too.
Randy
'Bishop'

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 06:22:10 pm »
The serial number boss on the case of the FJ model engine is raised and at a 45 degree angle. The XJ series serial number boss is flat and parallel to the case. And all of the 1250 engines should also start the serial number with a "P".

You cannot tell the engine by clutch rod length or valve covers. Many people including myself have used FJ parts on the XJ engine and could lead to mis-information. Plus there were some 1219 sealed engines out there that were based on the FJ block and can be changed back to a 1200.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

anything