Author Topic: Wiring  (Read 17230 times)

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
Wiring
« on: February 24, 2008, 03:04:04 pm »
Hey Guys,

I was rewiring up the dash as I bought some new switches and panels.  I hoocked everything back up except one wire and I cannot figure it out.  It is a black wire (which makes me think it is a ground) but it has an inline fuse in it.  It runs under the motor and then dissapears.  Can anyone shed some light on this and let me know if it is power or ground.  Thank you

Offline racer48j

Re: Wiring
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 12:07:05 am »
Hi, the black wire with the inline fuse is likely supposed to be run to the alternator.  On my car it runs to the orange wire at the alternator.  Hope that helps you out.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 08:39:14 am »
That makes sense.  So if it comes from the alternator where in the switch panel would it go?  I would assume it should be running back to the battery somehow.  When I discconected these wires they were all in the switch panel area.

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 04:47:16 pm »
It hooks to the ignition switch.

Geoff

Offline racer48j

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 07:29:58 pm »
There is a wiring diagram for Legends cars at the following site:

http://charlesking.net/Legends-Cars.html

I have found it to be invaluable in not only keeping my car running but also helping out some of my fellow racers on occasion.

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 09:48:33 pm »
I believe it goes from the alternator to the battery, the fuse is there to protect against shorts.

Mike.

Gimpster

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:26:02 pm »
Yes, the red wire from your alternator connects to the power side of your starter button and ignition switch (the off side of the switch)
The black wire with the fuse you have question of, connects from the "on" side of your ignition switch and runs to the alternators other wire.
If  by chance you get the 2 wires from the alternator confused with each other, the battery will drain dead from the car setting dormant with the ignition switch off ,for a few days.

----- Gimpster -----

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 09:34:34 am »
So since I bought a Longacre switch panel I should just be able to connect it to the ignition wire from the harness and I am good to go.  Thank you for the help on this.

Offline fasass47

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 06:43:45 pm »
can anyone tell me what this box is

Offline thunder938

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 08:12:28 pm »
Fuel pump cut off switch.  It was a  great idea to have these in the cars and have it wired to the coils.  If the  motor was to stopped in a crash, whatever, this box would shut off the pump.  Problem was it , in many cases, burn up the red boxes and in some cases the cut off switch would get hot and catch on fire!!!nice safety part .  Well 600 changed the rules and stated that we could disconnect the switch until they have had some time to study the problem.  So as of now you dont need it, but if you have it and it is working you can just leave it. 

Mine is still there, but disconnected...

Dave
Dave

Offline fasass47

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 09:44:54 pm »
thanks Dave

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 10:38:39 am »
I also heard of some guys having red boxes burn out.  i wasn't sure what the problem with them was.  So this is the culperit?

Offline thunder938

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 11:29:16 am »
could be.......
Dave

Offline fasass47

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 06:38:33 pm »
Ok ,  disconected fuel pump cut off switch and trying to figure out wiring? Can someone tell me, I have red box on my car with red wire to coil also goes to power switch, white wire to coil, blue wire to coil, black wire to ground, yellow wire ???? dont know where it goes  it was never hooked up on my car

Offline gramps05

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 07:27:04 am »
The red wire should go to both 1/4 coil and 2/3 coil, white wire to t0 1/4 coil, blue wire to 2/3 coil, black to ground, and the yellow wire is your tach input.