Author Topic: Securing car on 6x12 open trailer.  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Cl45music

Securing car on 6x12 open trailer.
« on: November 30, 2014, 03:33:52 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm going to be purchasing my first Legends car here in the next couple weeks (34 Ford Coupe) and I am going to be hauling it on a 6x12 open utility trailer to start out with.

I am in the process of purchasing accessories for the purpose of securing the car in the trailer and was wondering if any of you guys had any tips or pointers on how you all secure your cars in their respective trailers. Specifically if you use an open trailer.

Wheel ratchets? Are wheel ratchets necessary with a car this light weight and if so does it put unneeded stress on the suspension? Do you ratchet to the frame of the car, axels, or the bumpers?
I realize there are a million ways to do it,
But I'm just looking for ideas....

I have never hauled a car or any vehicle for that matter before, so this is my first time needing to secure a vehicle in a trailer for hauling.

The trailer is brand new and doesn't have any d-rings or anything yet so before I go putting holes all over the place i wanted to get some ideas. If I don't have to put holes anywhere to make it work that would be great.

I'm looking for the easiest and cheapest way that is also safe and not damaging to the race car.

Any ideas or photos appreciated, and keep in mind again it's a run of the mill 6x12 SA open utility trailer...

Thanks guys!!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Securing car on 6x12 open trailer.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:03:24 pm »
I have an open trailer as well (14'). I added a locking tool box on the front. Working on a tire rack. I had an issue with my pick up falling off the trailer because it was not securely fastened down. I added some heavy duty D-rings (bolted to the frame of the trailer and got heavy duty ratcheting tie downs. Granted my truck was a bit heavier than these cars; But not only embarassing to lose your load, also damaged the trailer in the process. Won't happen ever again!

I bought the tool box (used) on craigslist for $50. I buy used steel from the local recycling yard for my tire rack. Got the D-rings and tie down straps from my local farm supply store for a very reasonable price. Bought the  grade 8 bolts, steel washers and locking nuts there as well. I bought my trailer used for $400 and re-decked it with good new and used 2x6's (most were free finds on craigslist) and new bolts. Painted the frame and wheels (Farm supply store). Put on new lights and reflective tape. I have about $700 in the trailer.

Hope that helps.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.