Author Topic: Common Mechanical Failures??  (Read 7616 times)

Offline ZForceRacing01

Common Mechanical Failures??
« on: November 03, 2014, 11:29:47 am »
My crew chief’s previous experience is with Late Models. The other day he asked if there were any common mechanical failures in these cars? Is there any spare parts I should just know to keep on hand above and beyond spare tires and wheels.

Also are there any parts to commonly fail in light contact incidents?

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Common Mechanical Failures??
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 12:39:18 pm »
Hi John,

Spare bumpers are high on the list (they bend pretty easily). Oil and filters are good to have on hand. Suspension parts tend to get bent as well. Perhaps some spare spark plugs. Some tracks have a dealer trailer at the track and can usually sell you what you might need for a particular incident.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 02:25:00 pm »
Common mechanical failure...sealed motors. Oops, did I say that?  ;D

If you do not have a parts dealer at your track, make sure to add spindles, steering arms, rods, heims, and clevis joints to your list.
The steering components listed above are the things that get bent or break with lighter contact.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 02:38:06 pm »
I always like to have spares of anything relatively inexpensive such as electrical switches (toggle & push button), fuel pumps, and starter solenoid. Things that can be swapped out easily when trying to troubleshoot  gremlins.

I also started to keep pieces of aluminum and rivets to hold together fiberglass pieces temporarily. Just one step above duct tape bodywork.

A not so cheap part that is good to have is a spare muffler. Unless your smart enough to tether it the pipes, Guys seem to overlook a failing tab and tend to loose them at the track. always easier to slip another back on than have to find it, re-shape it, and re-install it in a rush. I like to fix things during the week, not at the races.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline Legends16

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 05:05:59 pm »
Good info above. Id like to add to have a spare starter handy. These motors don't like to spin backwards. As many of us have found out, you spin a starter backwards it will tear itself apart. Its also why its important to get on that clutch as soon as you start to spin backwards. I wish there was away around that. So many racers are trying to save the starter (and starter chain) by pushing in the clutch and rolling up the track before they get to the brake.

Offline DoubleZero

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:48:57 pm »
The failure that seems to get me a lot is the muffler tab breaking off.   I have had two break.   While I had the thing safety wired to the frame the clamp broke and the muffler rolled down the track.  Now the pipes are bent on the muffler and it is a mess.   

Offline Legends16

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 12:21:15 pm »
The failure that seems to get me a lot is the muffler tab breaking off.   I have had two break.   While I had the thing safety wired to the frame the clamp broke and the muffler rolled down the track.  Now the pipes are bent on the muffler and it is a mess.   

Are you tightening down the nuts on the tabs. I run asphalt and I haven't had issue's. I run the bolts loose and double nut them. It seems to work fine for me but maybe the vibration is worse on dirt?

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 02:55:13 pm »
Some good information, thank you.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

anything