Author Topic: Getting Started Advice  (Read 8514 times)

Offline Jyousey

Getting Started Advice
« on: September 23, 2014, 06:07:56 pm »
Hello all, I am new here hoping to get some advice. I have been looking to get into racing legends for a while now and I feel it's time to take a couple steps forward. I am from New York and would likely be racing asphalt due to the "limits" of Northern NY. I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers as in what to look for and what to stay away from. Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you,
Justin

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Getting Started Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 07:09:26 pm »
Hi Justin,

Welcome to our little family here at LegendsRacer!
Best advice is to read through the old threads. There is a lot of good info on buying a car, what it will cost you to race, etc...
Let me know if you need help finding info on the site or help finding a car. I have plenty of resources.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Jyousey

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 07:51:08 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I have been surfing this forum since about 4pm... ;D tons of great stuff on here. All season long I have been helping a friend with his pro stock/super stock...moral of the story don't bring friends who don't race into the pits...ha

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 10:31:47 pm »
Haha! Not true. If you didn't go down to the pits you would still be sitting in the stands.  ;)
There are some threads about buying a car and what to look for. If you need help, just message me.
Remember that it is not just buying the car; There are a lot of other expenses (Truck, trailer, racing gear, etc...).
Learn all you can before you take the plunge.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 08:19:21 am »
Welcome! I'm just finishing up my first year this year so I was in your shoes a year ago. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Here is my $0.02 though. I bought a sedan only bc they are cheaper than coupes and my start up budget was tight. So far the differences in them (IMO) is the sedan is a little more lazy to respond in the corner and generally is a little tighter. They also are a little bit roomier if that's something you need. If you do go this route, make sure that the chassis is a 4 bar instead of a 2 bar. This means there are 4 vertical roll bars behind the driver. A little more weight but its safer. With the motor 1200 vs 1250 sealed...I went with a 1250 just bc I'm not a motor guy but have raced against 1200 and they are just as fast. I would suggest to do a compression check on any motor that is used just to make sure your getting a good one.

Driver gear will be anywhere from $800-$1200. Fire suit, helmet, HANS, gloves, shoes, etc. 
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline Dirt75

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 10:27:58 am »
All good advice! DO NOT skimp on safety equipment. I did a triple barrel roll last week. It happens. Without the good helmet, Hans, and full containment LaJoie seat I would not have come out so good. Newbies tend to "get by" with minimal protection. Not posting this to freak you out, but maybe I am. Just want you to have fun and not get into trouble.
Here's a link to the little mishap during the heat race.   

Offline Jyousey

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 08:41:06 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I am 6'2" so a Sedan might be the ticket. Fortunately I live "near" A guy who rents them. He also has a showroom with a few in it.  My plan is to  pay the 100 it costs to run 30 laps just so I can see if this is truly something I want to get into...I'm sure I'll come away from this wanting to take one home.

It's too bad that in NY, the legend class is relatively small and on asphault with an occasional dirt race.

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 04:56:58 pm »
If you can try both. My son is 6'1" and fits comfortably in a coupe.

Robert

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 05:04:01 pm »
I'm 6'1" and 250# and have been running a 34 coupe for 7 years now
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/