LEGENDS > Drivetrain & Gearing

Broken axle

(1/4) > >>

JGRacing:
What is the best way to get a broken axle out of the tube.  It is on the short side axle, so I might be able to pull the other axle and maneuver the pumpkin out of the housing.  All these years in racing, and I have never had to get a broken axle out of the tube.  

IraceLegends77:
I built a axle remover tool. It is a long piece of 1/4 steel round stock and welded it to a pipe that was larger than the axle shaft. The pipe is cut length ways in half. Then insert the cut pipe on the top of the axle and slide it in. Then rotate the pipe to the bottom of the axle and it should hook the axle splice and then pull it out. I hope that makes sence. No sleep and a 18 hour plane ride will do that to you.

Scott

MegaMang:
It sounds brilliant but I'm not picturing it.  Going to have to work that one out.

Mike

JGRacing:
If I am picturing it correctly, it sounds like a shovel type deal.  The rod is the handle and the split half of the tubing is the blade that sort of cups the axle.  I guess there is a lip on it to hook the splice on the two piece axles. 

I tried taking a tube and flairing out the end.  Thought that I could tap this onto the end of the axle and get the axle piece wedged in it, but it didn't work. 

I'll try to rig something like this up and see if it works.  I would prefer to not pull the pumlin unless needed.  At least these Toyota gears are lighter than the Ford 9" pumkins.  Those are really heavy, awkward, and being covered in gear oil sure doesn't help.  Not sure how I never killed myself with one of those.

Thanks for the help.       

elimn8u_43:
I use a piece of  1/4" steel tubing  about two and a half feet longwith a piece of stainless steel mig wire in it. I make like a lasooe out of the wire and run it through the steel tubing with a bolt twisted into the other end. Then slide the tubing  into the axle housing with the loop of the wire bent down, slide the loop of the wire over the broken piece of axle, while holding the tubing pull on the twisted bolt to tighten the wire loop. Then while holding the wire tight pull the whole operation out of the housing.  hope this helps.

Geoff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version