Author Topic: sheet metal  (Read 9637 times)

Offline trainoracing

sheet metal
« on: May 14, 2014, 08:34:24 pm »
looking for thickness of firewall, interior panels and rear deck cover for sedan

thanks
ken

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: sheet metal
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 09:36:01 pm »
The thicker the better in my opinion, but that's from a safety perspective.
No rule that I am aware of, and I can't find the online rulebook on the new website.
I used to have triple thick firewalls made, but my manufacturer stopped making them
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 11:00:46 pm »
These are the rules from the current rule book:

25. FIBERGLASS COMPONENTS: All fiberglass components must remain within the stock dimensions, thickness, location and configurations as currently delivered by U.S. Legend Cars International. All fiberglass components must have an authentic INEX certificate embedded into the underside of the fiberglass component, evidencing that the component is a certified US Legend Cars International part. Fiberglass components may not be reinforced or intentionally lightened in any way. The use of a complete front end (Matching hood, fenders, grill and grill shell) on a different model car is acceptable. It must be complete with all listed components from the same model. Mounting of Components -All fiberglass body components must be firmly attached to every Legend Car competing in any race. It is recommended that all dzus fasteners fit tight and are taped over to prevent loosening. Any Legends Car may be black flagged or denied entry to start a race if any of the aforementioned items are not attached unless prior approval is given by the INEX technical inspector. Removal of undamaged fiberglass components (hood, deck lid, etc.) during an event is not allowed. Rear of body may be trimmed between the frame rails up to the top edge of the rear frame horns.
26. FIREWALL: A metal firewall is mandatory. Firewall must be installed as currently delivered by U.S. Legend Cars International. Using a “thicker than stock” metal firewall separating the driver’s compartment from the engine compartment is OK.

Not sure what that all means, as they do not specify minimum/ Maximum thicknesses.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline LVRacer8

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 12:25:30 am »
64. SHEET METAL: The minimum thickness of sheet metal is .036”. The rear deck sheet metal (including the package tray behind the driver) may not be removed or altered in any way unless a fuel cell access hole is used. The fuel cell access hole must be covered with a sheet metal plate and secured at all times when the car is on the track.

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 04:12:22 pm »
0.036" is 20 Gauge in case folks didn't want to look it up.

Thicker gauge would be a lower number (ex.: 14 GA = 0.0747").
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline trainoracing

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 08:04:58 pm »
looking to purchase full interior sheet metal package for 37 chevy sedan.  basically everything except the firewall...shipping to 19355...Any parts guy have them in stock?

thanks
ken

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:41:17 pm »
Your local dealer should
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 10:34:32 pm »
I have some used stuff for that, I just think shipping the drive shaft tunnel will kill the shipping cost, I'm located in southern nh.

Dan