Author Topic: Putting a legends car on a standard open trailer.  (Read 11692 times)

Offline ZForceRacing01

Putting a legends car on a standard open trailer.
« on: May 04, 2014, 12:55:16 am »
Forgive me for the ignorance but is a legends car wide enough to drive up the ramps of a standard open car trailor.

I hope to be purchasing a car in the coming weeks and will be borrowing a trailor to go pick the car up a few hours from my home.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Putting a legends car on a standard open trailer.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 07:28:18 am »
Track width is 60 inches.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 07:42:54 am »
I used an open trailer when I got started. Most have adjustable ramps but because of there weight (1100 lbs) you can use a couple of motorcycle ramps or boards.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline DoubleZero

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 09:46:08 am »
The issue I have had is the car dragging when putting it in any kind of trailer.  I ended up getting some extension ramps and then putting wood blocks under the trailer door.  You will have the same issue with an open trailer as my closed trailer.  These cars run 3.5 to 4.0 inches of ride height so it's easy to drag the bottom.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 01:25:29 pm »
I have scraped the bumpers but all my trailers have had a dove tail so wasn't much of a problem.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Legends16

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 05:08:57 pm »
I use a full size open car trailer.  Its plenty wide enough. For a while I was using the rediculously heavy car ramps until I went to Harbor Frieght and bought the aluminum rams (6ft?) rated for 1100 pounds, they work just fine. I U-bolt them to the sides of the trailer when Im done. I had the issue of the car bottoming out until I used some drive up ramps under the rear wheels of my tow vehicle. Just be careful backing up on them.  That pretty much eliminates the issue. The only problem with the ramps is the fact that they are big and bulky and that they can sink into wet ground. A friend of mine uses a cut 4 x 6 piece of wood under the trailer jack and raises the trailer up that way.

My trailer has a winch which is nice to have loading and unloading. With that we use a tow strap around the bumper so we dont mark it up to bad.  Then I use two heavy duty car ratcheting straps, one on the rear bumper and one on the front. It works well.

Message me is you have any other questions.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 03:40:47 pm »
this is ours.. use ramps from lowes on top of tailgate..just fine..

joe