Author Topic: Motor mount bushings  (Read 9901 times)

Offline Legends16

Motor mount bushings
« on: March 28, 2014, 10:34:24 am »
Hello guys,

Im getting ready to install a stock 1200 bike motor into my car. The motor is missing  the left front metal bushing insert that goes into the block. I have one of these bushings from a broken block but Im told the pressed ones dont come out. Is this the case? In my old karting days we used to remove bearing's from spindles by putting them in the freezer and then heating the spindle with a heat gun to get the pressed bearings out. Im doubtful but woundering if this sort of thing would work on the bushing in the broken block piece.

Ive also got the stock Yahmaha rubber bushings used on the bike, however the rubber bushings use a smaller bolt. Using this may alow to motor move around on the mount. Im not sure how good of an idea that is.

My last option would be to buy motor mount bushings from 600. Ive heard mixed reviews about them.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Eric

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Motor mount bushings
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 11:45:25 am »
Get the new rubber bushings from your dealer. They slide right in and bolt in nice. If the old "solid" bushing is stuck in you can use a slightly smaller socket and gently tap it out. Make sure there are no burs on either end that is holding it in.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline 83racedad

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 01:50:28 pm »
Gently I cracked a block years ago by trying to get one out. LIGHTLY small hammer!

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 02:52:29 pm »
DO NOT TAP the bushing. You WILL break the case. If you can't get it out, the best bet is to drill it out to accept a 1/2" bolt and just use it. Or, drill it out completely, but this will take a pretty large drill bit.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Legends16

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 03:39:23 pm »
Thanks guys, but what I have is a bushing in chunk of broken block. Getting the bushing out, assuming that I can, isnt an issue as far as damage goes. I guess what Im worried about is installing in into the good motor. Maybe sand it down a little bit?

Anyone ever use a stock bike rubber bushing? The bolt hole is a little smaller, could leave play in the motor mount.

Offline legend7

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 04:14:24 pm »
From the battle i had getting them out I would say its impossible to remove in one pc
"Dime at a Time"

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 10:08:14 pm »
get new and get rubber ones.

robert

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:06:00 am »
yup. don't waste your time. Buy a rubber one. I have them in stock, and I'm sure your local dealer does too. They are $8/ea, so not a killer.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Legends16

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 12:09:12 pm »
Thanks guys!