Author Topic: Front clip measurement  (Read 9488 times)

Offline Legends16

Front clip measurement
« on: March 22, 2014, 05:14:23 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if there is a EASY measurement to take to determine if the front clip is straight.

Thank you,

Eric

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Front clip measurement
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 06:02:50 pm »
If it bent you can see it but if it just slightly bent you will need to put it on a jig. No real quick way that I know.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 11:23:49 am »
With a 1/4" of rake and tilt with ride heights of
Lf 3-5/8
Rf 3-7/8
Lr 3-7/8
Rr 4-1/8

The right front upper control arm mount can be a minimum of 13-1/4 from the ground.  This is with front clip at legal minimum height of 3-7/8 above main rails.

Side to side bent is harder to zero in on, however if your rf lower a is 16-3/4 center to center and your left rear brake drum is at 6". Rear has to be dead square to the front shock tower, a string should be pretty close at spindle height to creating a plane  with about 4-1/2 degrees negative camber.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:44:06 pm »
Thanks guys.  Another quick question. If I were to measure the  width of the front clip by the fire wall and the remeasure by the shock towers, it should be the same correct?

Offline jjdoyle

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 10:12:33 pm »
I don't think there is for these cars because of the way the clip is designed. This is just my opinion. But I have talked to fast guys that said the have won races with clips that were bent. Then there are fast  guys that will tell you, you need to clip your car every season, every so many races etc. I think the best way to really know is strip her down and take her to someone with a jig that you can trust.

What I learned starting out was that I worried about to much of this small stuff, oh maybe this or that is bent maybe that's why my car pushes so bad. Maybe rearend bent thats why Im loose off, etc. etc. What I found out was that there is tremendous gains in driving! More than any setup change if you are close not already an experienced driver.  If you are just starting out don't sweat the small stuff and just runs laps