Author Topic: Fuel Cell Sizes?  (Read 9562 times)

Offline hammerd56

Fuel Cell Sizes?
« on: December 19, 2010, 08:36:41 pm »
Hey there, first time poster, long time follower. I love what ya'll have here.

I just got a new car in and the fuel cell width is a 1/2 in wider than my other car...

Do the various types of fuel cells (Metal, Big Plastic, Little Plastic) differ in the width department?

Any insight is appreciated!

-Nic

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Fuel Cell Sizes?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 09:47:37 pm »
The red plastic fuel cell with the 5 5/8” cap or larger is no longer allowed. (As per the rulebook)
Seems that I have heard that there is a 1/2" difference in the plastic fuel cells. But, it has been awhile since I've heard anything about fuel cell mounting. If I can remember where I found the information, I will pass it along to you.
Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Gimpster

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 08:39:32 am »
 Somewhere around 2007 USLC changed fuel cell manufacturers. The old fuel cells were narrower and a single layer of plastic that they felt were unsafe. I believe the old cells were manufactured by Fuel Safe. The new plastic fuel cell that they deem their own is 3/4" wider and is a double layer lined cell (bladder). New chassis thereafter were manufactured with fuel mounting bars in a wider placement. Correct me if I am wrong but If memory is correct the new cells are manufactured by Jazz for USLC. When the updated fuel cells came out USLC made a provision in the rule book under chassis modification to allow nipping the fuel cell mounting bars and rewelding them outward for placement of new fuel cells in older chassis. Normally there is no welding allowed on a Legends Car chassis. Check the rulebook for the update provision. If it is not in there, contact USLC for the proceedure of moving the fuel cell mounting bars on old chassis

Hope this helps

----- Gimpster -----

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:57:41 am »
I didnt see anything in the rule book. I have a message in to USLC and will post when I get the answer.

Jim
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 10:13:53 am »
My Question:  Hi Darrel,
There has been a question posed about the newer fuel cells not fitting in the older chassis becuase they about 3/4" wider. Are we allowed to  move the cell mounting/protection bars to accomodate the larger cells even though they are part of the chassis?

The Response:  Yes you can, we also offer a kit for that modification.
Thanks Darrel
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 01:02:01 pm »
I had to do this when I bought my car.  I was able to carefully cut one side move it out and re-weld it and just needed to replace the cross bar.  This is when I realized that it would be much easier to just remove the body instead of welding inside of the little tiny trunk.   ::)

Gimpster

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 01:19:02 pm »
 I will call Mike Patrick too. He is the one who informed all of us on yahoo groups legends cars about it. If I recall the change was over the 2006 to 2007 off season when the new fuel cell came out

----- Gimpster -----

Gimpster

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 01:59:14 pm »
 Ok, I just got off the phone with Mike Patrick. He went through the rule book too and there is no mention in the 2010 book. He thinks a memo was sent out at the time of the fuel cell change. He mentioned only cutting the left mount to move it over so the chassis will still pass tech without cutting the left and right side. He also mentioned that while updating older chassis to newer cells at Little Race Cars, they would cut the left bar, install the new fuel cell, put a 1/4" shim alongside the bar and mark where to weld the bar. this will allow for a little fuel cell expansion. His cars that were modified this way all passed tech at the asphalt nationals.
Hope this info helps

----- Gimpster -----

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 02:56:43 pm »
That's the stuff I was thinking about.
Thanks, Jim and Gimpster, for checking on the info!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 06:02:55 pm »
Just looked at some new chassis from USLC this weekend. The front shock tower holes were not in the right place and the battery box was also not in the right location and was also to small. Who know what else is not right. Sure makes you think when you buy a new chassis. Maybe that is why they were on sale.......LOL

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline hammerd56

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 09:36:00 pm »
Wow. You guys are all right! Question answered!!!

If you ever make it out to San Diego let me know... i owe ya a frosty beverage!

-Nic

anything