LEGENDS > Engine Care & Tuning

Tuning the Mikuni Carbs

(1/4) > >>

Tom Cole:
I have NO idea how to tune the mikuni carbs on these cars.  I'm sure I could understand it if I took it apart, but I don't want to do that without a little knowledge first.

Anyone have any links about tuning these carbs? 

How about links to parts and rebuild kits?

T48:
Tom, I went through all of my links and found this on legendsforce.com:
"The carburetors are Mikuni BS36 x 4 constant vaccum.  Re-jetting is permitted.  The engines are mounted 90 degrees counter to the way Yamaha designed them to be cooled by air flow.  The #3 cyl. is a common problem area on these engines due to heat and the restricted air flow to the back cylinders.  Have the carbs tuned to keep #3 and #4 from running lean.  Venting fenders and hoods, while staying within rules, is recommended.  See the FACTORY Professional Tuning Components website for good information on performance carburation setup."

It's not an answer to your question, but it brought up another question for me - we got a vented hood as an extra with the T48, but I never see anyone using one, so we didn't.  Does the above suggest that we should?

Also found this, if  it's of any help:
http://www.carbparts.com/mikuni/mikuni_tuning_info.htm

T48:
AHA!  The tuning manual for the Mikuni Carbs is online here in .pdf format!

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/download/Mikuni_manuals/tune_mikuni_carbs.pdf

Tom Cole:
Great links!

The vent hood is not a bad idea.  A good oil cooler with a fan and top end oiling system seems to do pretty good for me.  The fan only helps when you are not moving fast enough for good airflow.

Something else.  I put a digital head temp guage on the other day and found that it really does help to not shut off the engine right away when you get back to the pits.  Get plenty of fans blowing on the engine and let it idle a bit.  The peak temp will drop quickly.

DARK AGE 53:
Hell, I can't even find the idle adjusment knob the 600 Racing Manual says to use when adjusting the idle...anyone have a pic of where this puppy is?

Thanks,
Al

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version