Author Topic: Chassis Modification for Beaver Dam Raceway  (Read 23652 times)

Offline WIGGLES84

Re: Chassis Modification for Beaver Dam Raceway
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 01:13:13 pm »

Great Work Andrew! Maybe another item you can build and sell?  ;D

Thanks!  ;D

I'm not sure I want to take on that responsibility for people's safety.  I'm not really much of a welder! ::)

Plus the material cost alone is pushing  $50. Those damn lower collars cost something like $25 for the pair. Can only imagine what shipping would be on the assembly !

Maybe in a kit form ??? Like ships ready to weld together? IDK?   sounds kinda lame though  :D

Andrew
Silly Tool Maker wants to make race car parts better, stronger, CHEAPER (in kit form) than the OEM! ( now he's trying to be a fabricator too! )

Offline Legends16

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 01:34:54 pm »
I hear ya. Id feel the same way.  :)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 08:56:50 pm »
The "lower collars" are ballast clamps for attaching lead to a chassis without drilling holes in it.
$9.93 each at vmsmotorsports.com in 10 different shapes
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline ethan54

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 03:27:21 pm »
Just finished up the guard for my dad's car. 100% bolt on to the chassis.

Test fit before I had the collars to weld on and bolt holes to attach the channel to the plate:

Lower collars that my dad picked up somewhere:

Finished assembly:

I also attached a quick cad sketch of the pieces as I made them to fit my dad's car.  It should give you a base point to start from if you need one.  Some of the dimensions will more than likely need to be tweaked to fit the items you use in your build.

Andrew
What is the thickness of the plate?  Also what is the dimension after the bend in the plate? Thanks

if anyone else knows, thanks
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 01:26:33 am »
Just finished up the guard for my dad's car. 100% bolt on to the chassis.

Test fit before I had the collars to weld on and bolt holes to attach the channel to the plate:

Lower collars that my dad picked up somewhere:

Finished assembly:

I also attached a quick cad sketch of the pieces as I made them to fit my dad's car.  It should give you a base point to start from if you need one.  Some of the dimensions will more than likely need to be tweaked to fit the items you use in your build.

Andrew
What is the thickness of the plate?  Also what is the dimension after the bend in the plate? Thanks

if anyone else knows, thanks

Looks like I forgot to put the over all dimensions on the print out I posted,  sorry.

The plate is 18" x 12" 11 gauge steel. I ordered it form speedy metals.

So Given my dimensions on the print out, there should be about 5" on the shorter side of the bend.

I had also made another one for Tony ( I think his screen name is ajagoditsh ) and he had to cut about 1.5" out of the channel sides for it to fit in his car.  Sorry no clue which body style he has but I do have a Pic.

Hope this helps,
Andrew
Silly Tool Maker wants to make race car parts better, stronger, CHEAPER (in kit form) than the OEM! ( now he's trying to be a fabricator too! )

Offline ajagoditsh

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 06:48:14 am »
34 Ford Sedan body. And after I cut the channel,  it fit perfectly.  The plate has the be .125 thick magnetic steel. All in all it came it at about 12 lbs. Thanks again Andrew. Very nice work.

Tony
Tony Jagoditsh