Author Topic: Bad Crash  (Read 10877 times)

Offline thunder938

Bad Crash
« on: February 04, 2008, 06:08:03 pm »
Guys take a look at the pics at the link , look at pics then larry's crash from last week end.  http://www.911edaracing.com

The poster from the yahoo group stated that the rubber fuel line got cut  in the crash and fed a bad fire. Due to this I am going to pull out the rubber line a put in SS braided line...

Dave

Dave

Offline Legendracer24

Re: Bad Crash
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 06:24:56 pm »
god dang thats a nasty one! If my parents ever saw me get in a wreck like that i could kiss racing goodbye! lol
the age old saying: Speed Costs--How fast do you want to go>? Thank god this isn't true for legends because i have no money!

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 07:00:13 pm »
From what I read, it sounds like the melting rollbar padding was a big problem also.   The fire resistant padding is a good idea for anyone who is not using it.       

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 03:39:34 am »
WOW!
That's Not Good!!!!

I have ALWAYS been a firm believer in SS lines.
When I get to roll bar padding; going to look into that also.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 10:38:26 am »
From Yahoo group:

Larry's skin graph has held up well. He has developed a staph infection that
the doctors are trying to get rid of and on top of that he has come down with
pneumonia.
The doctors has began reducing his pain medication and inserted a smaller
trac tube in his throat.
When he's not sedated he's able to speak to his wife. In fact today he asked
where he was and how long he'd been there, for he thought he'd only been
there over night. His wife explained to him he'd been in the hospital for 18
days and that worried him some but his wife reassured him of his progress
and that calmed him down.
It sounds like Larry will be in the hospital for 2 to 3 more weeks.
Please continue to keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
As the new race season approaches I need to ask everyone... Are you taking
all the proper safety precautions needed especially to fire before you get in
your race car???
Larry did , If he hadn't he wouldn't be with us today!!!

Thanks and good luck to all in your racing endevors!!

Due to this I replaced the factory rubber fuel line with SS braided, SFI roll bar padding, and some other things...

Dave

Dave

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 12:20:27 pm »
Glad to hear he is doing better. 

Everything to do the braided lines on my car cost me a little over $100 at Summit Racing.  I think it is well worth the cost.   

Offline thunder938

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 05:39:25 pm »
Update:
Larry is doing remarkably well considering his
injuries. He is almost 100% physically healed and
appears to be looking forward to returning to work in
a week or two.
Dave

Offline Lowgroover

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 09:52:05 pm »
Accidents like this are the reason I preach fire safety equipment. $100 is a lot cheaper than a long stay in the burn unit. On board fire-suppression systems, fire-retardant underwear, gloves, shoes and balacava ( head and neck hood) all cost less than one day in the hospital. If you cant afford to be safe, you cant afford to race.
Certified INEX Technical inspector

Offline Bando 9

• Go big or go home
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 08:31:52 am »
WOW that was amasing. I bet  you were you hearting after that one.

Chance 8)
Try your best at the track or dont come !

Offline 6th Geer

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 07:18:44 pm »
This has been an eye opener for a lot of us here in SoCal who have raced aginst Larry.
We never could have imagined what he went through in the 40+ seconds it took to extract him. Not to mention the weeks follwing.

There are a lot of upgrades going on cars here in SoCal.

1. Fire Bottles (some tracks mandating)
2. Stainless Steel Bradided fuel lines
3. Battery Shut off Switches
4.SFI roll bar padding
5. some are even testing pull pins in place of the standard pins in our doors for easier removal of the doors if the frame has been twisted in the wreck (this needs INEX approval)

Wear NOMEX/CarbonX underwear!!!!! Always!!!! Larry always did and I believe it saved him.
Even with the upgrades, we still have a couple gallons of fuel 12" behind us and a fuel line that can be cut or pinched in a bad right front crash.

Just felt the need to share the word and hope that one more racer not doing any of these above will start to now and be safer from it.

Josh Geer #6
SoCal Legends

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 10:50:59 am »
I have been trying to think of a practicle way of doing pull pins on the door hinge based on the conversation on the Yahoo board after the accident.  Never thought about the running boards being bent up and blocking the doors until then.  I was thinking something along the lines of one of the quick change shock pins (see link below), but if the chassis is tweaked, the hinge will have the pin pinched in there and will not pull out.  Have you guys in S. California come up with something that is workable?  Even with INEX approving the change, the rescue people at the tracks will have to know about the removable pins for them to be of help.   

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/1569,148_Quick-Release-Pins.html

Offline 6th Geer

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 06:28:55 pm »
This is only happening on a couple cars here that I know of and the rest of us are waiting for the proof in the pudding before we buy and modify our pins. They look very similar to the link you attached except the have a loop on top so the fire safety crew can attach a puller of some sort to these if needed and yank away. Even if the do get wedged a little the odds are you will be able to open one of the doors and they are welded pins now that give you no such options for removal. I beleive I've seen the proof now, they have to be better than welded!

You bring up another good point I was going to add to my previous post about the fire safety crew and there need to know about these pins/ upgrades for them to be fully effective. Work with your fire safety crew as group and explain the safety features on these cars as they are not the same as a late model or other racecars. We have a couple of our veteran drivers who take the lead on this for our entire group and have become very involved with the frie safety crews and track officials when it comes to our safety.

Josh

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 11:37:52 pm »
Let us know if INEX gives you the approval for the door pins.  I don't see a downside to going to these.  The Yahoo board has video of a roof hatch someone made, but not sure that I am going to fit through a little hole in the roof if it was OK'ed.  Getting through the window of my modified was bad enough.   :)

anything