Author Topic: Newbie needing setup help  (Read 6917 times)

Offline DeLee

Newbie needing setup help
« on: March 03, 2014, 02:52:18 pm »
Hello all I need setup help. I just got a car and me not having any legends experience I used the previous owners setup with my weights of course. I run asphalt 3/8 with 12deg of bank. The issue is I ran the car and it was crazy loose on exit, very good on entry and good at apex. The cross is 45% and from what I've been reading that is very low. The reason I did not adjust the cross was I thought it could have been me and because I'm new, not having drove this type car before. And he was very sucessful with this low cross weight. But I could not even give it gas until I was completely straight. The car was sticking in the turn but when gas applied would break the car free. Even on the straights if I give it to much it would wiggle. I've read all the setup info and would like some real world advice . On springs, ride height and weights, cross, left and rear. I understand that everyone's driving style is different but this set up was not even close for me and this is the set up that won for them. All other cars were hooked up and busy lapping me while I battled a loose on exit race car.
Thanks in advance for any advice

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Newbie needing setup help
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 03:46:14 pm »
I can't help on asphalt, but what track do you run? May have some members that run there that can take theory out of the equation and replace it with real life experience
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 04:19:43 pm »
Here is a starting point that Jeff posted years back.

A Good Place To Start For Asphalt:

Caster camber settings
Left Front: Caster: + 2.5°     Camber: +2.5°  (top of tire tipped out)

Right Front:  Caster: +4.5°       Camber:  -4.0°  (top of tire tipped in)
1/16” toe out
Springs:
Left front - 225  Right front - 275
Left rear  - 185   Right rear - 200

Ride Heights:

Left front - 3.5”     Right front - 3.75”
Left rear  - 4.0”     Right rear - 4.25”

Scale Numbers:

Cross Weight 56% with driver.

Rear weight 52% with driver maximum.

Left side weight 52% with driver maximum.

Total 1300lbs with driver minimum.

Recommended Air Pressure:

Left front - 17psi   Right front - 27psi

Left rear  - 17psi    Right rear  - 27psi 

Rear End:

Keep rear end square to rear main cross member at all times.  Set this before you check the wheelbase and make adjustments to wheelbase with front suspension.

Keep the rear end centered in the chassis.

Notes: Round of wedge into the left rear and out of the right rear will tighten car. Reverse to loosen car.

The same for air pres. to tighten or loosen the car- air into the left rear will tighten ect.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 06:24:11 pm »
crank the cross up to 50% chances are the previous driver liked that feel of the car.  In my opinion there is no real right cross, its all what feels best to the driver, me personally I like mine around 50% sometimes a little higher and sometimes a little lower depending on the track we are going to.  Another thing is to make sure you are smooth on the gas coming out of the corners, if you just jab the throttle real quick you'll get sideways and chase it the whole corner.

Dan