Author Topic: Basic 0il change question  (Read 7074 times)

fcassidy

Basic 0il change question
« on: February 03, 2008, 04:35:55 pm »
Hi,

I have a very basic question.  I've just bought an older Legend as a toy for track days etc and know little/nothing about the cars, especially as I've never worked on a bike engine before.

When draining the oil, there are three possible outlets - 1. A 'bung' with a hex key pattern on it, slightly below and to the right of the oil leve window. 2. The oil temp sensor, which screws into the sump. 3. A size 17 (I think) bolt on the underside of the sump with what looks like a screw head in the middle of it.

Having pulled out the bung with the hex key insert, I got very little oil coming out - then drained the sump by pulling out the temp sensor.

What is the correct way to do it?  I have read the other posts and have pulled the hoses off at the back of the engine and off the oil cooler to drain as much as possible.  Would like to know the best practise so I do it correctly the next time.

Sorry my question is so basic - but when you don't know the answer, it becomes a difficult question!

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

speedyracing11

Re: Basic 0il change question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 04:17:54 pm »
All i do is pull the plug on the driver side.The rear most one.I change my oil every 3 races with mobile one.I do not always pull the lines but you can.My lower drain bolt is wire tied so i can't pull it out without cutting the wire.Just change the oil regularly and you won't have too many problems.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Re: Basic 0il change question
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 06:20:14 pm »
Remove the 17mm plug with the screw in the middle. That is the sump drain.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.