Author Topic: Sealed engine pricing increase.  (Read 56506 times)

knoxracing

Re: Sealed engine pricing increase.
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2014, 11:07:50 am »
INEX,/ uslc has been the best game in town for the racer that wants equality from track to track and region to region and they will continue to be. There are those trhat have personal issues with USLC that will continue to dicredit them until hell freezes over, end of story. Do I think the engine is overpriced ? Yes I do.  I have been here for 15 years and the program continues. This has been the best 15 years and I wouldnt trade it for anything. Racing in general has taken a hit as people have had to focus the dollar on other areas, both personally and corporately. Will it all come back? Possibly. Go race dwarfs and have fun spending 30k to win through chaeting and you wil be a hero in your own mind, but dont take that car a 100 miles away because it wont be legal. Honestly guys, if I were this upset and it bothered me on a daily bassis I would move on to something that amkes you happy and does not take the fun out of it. There are so many good people in Legends that do not want to hear the politics. Nothing will ever make us all ahppy and it is what it is. Everyone has a right to an opinion anI respect that.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2014, 12:05:13 pm »
Dennis,

Why do you think we are always personally attacking USLC/NEX? We are saying the same thing. We love these cars and this series. Does that mean that it is flawless? NO. I have spent time and money promoting this series and will always do so until the day I'm done racing. Do I want it to get better....Hell yea. Is there a better way we could move forward with a motor program..Hell yea. You know it is bad when you are walking on the floor of USLC and guys that working there talk to you about getting motors from Curt Andrews. Is Curt or Hank cheaper? Nope. So why would someone go to them and what a more expensive motor that is still legal except for the seals? One word//// DURABILITY. If you think that the motor shop is doing a good job you must feel pretty lonely on that island. Again, my sole opinion doesn't make their reputation. If your so tight with USLC and the motor shop you should be helping them do something about their reputation of putting out less than a quality product. Again I love this sport and one of the reason for speaking out is in hopes of making it better. We need to start looking at a different power plant to help this sport and this series move forward. The cost is just one of the problems that we have and if you really are honest with yourself you could see it.

I will say that I like Dennis on a personal level and that he has helped me every time I have called him. I just have a different opinion on this matter and unless I'm way off I'm not alone.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline rsrr

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2014, 02:02:49 pm »
Just curious?  How many people on here actually have bought or planned on buying a new engine?   What is the reason for buying new?  Is there an advantage from rebuilt to new or just need new if you blow one up ?

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2014, 03:34:57 pm »
Here is what I think about a new engine from 600. I was talking with let's say person the other day. He informed me he purchased two motors from 600 and had them sent over to a local  engine builder in concord area, these motors where place on the Dino of course one at a time. They both where run in to break in, then they did three pulls on them well one of the motor showed some good numbers , BUT BUT BUT the second motor blew a head gasket on the second pull.
Well here it is in my opinion you have a 50/50 shot in getting a motor that maybe will last and or be a good motor,
But in the real world let's pay more for less ha ?
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2014, 04:14:43 pm »
I haven't seen anyone discrediting USLC in this thread Dennis. Some heated opinions, but nobody is discrediting anyone.
If you are referring to me:

A) My entire business was originally built around Legends racing, so I want nothing more than for it to continue to grow, and have spent thousands of dollars in track sponsorship, Legends series sponsorships, and discounts to drivers to keep Legends racing healthy.
B) 2 years ago there was major talk about my home track dropping INEX sanctioning, and I was the loudest and most vocal objector to leaving INEX.
C) I have no personal issues with USLC. Some USLC dealers have personal problems with myself and VMS Motorsports, that is heavily documented. Ask Ashley for details.
D) I stopped carrying any and all USLC parts at the end of last season to help keep the peace with our local dealer, and refer everyone who asks for USLC specific to their nearest dealer.

If you weren't referring to me, please disregard this post

Jim Bucher

JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2014, 05:17:51 pm »
I LOVE THE STORIES THAT ARE GENERATED AT CERTAIN ENGINE SHOPS, LOVE IT!  I also LOVE the new seal claim rule. I have sold MANY new engines and had ALOT of rebuilds done under the Buckeye name and we have had excellent service and excellent motors. The average COMPLTETE rebuild as USLC including dyno time is under 3K. If racers reall like paying someone else $4k plus for a rebuild that has been proven over and opver to produce NO more hp, ghave at it. Many of the same people upset over the motor increase ar the same people paying 4k for a rebuild, 4K unbelievable. For a rebuild!!!!!!!

knoxracing

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2014, 05:24:16 pm »
Vern,
What did they do with the motor that supposedly blew a gasket? It had to go to USLC for repair, so Chad should have knowledge of this correct?

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2014, 05:36:27 pm »
As of now no I don't know but will post when I find out though.
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline slack11

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2014, 06:31:48 pm »
To me if you hear something once or twice, I am skeptical....but when you hear the same sort of stories about quality and reliability out of the engine shop there time an time again you begin to wonder.   I was very skeptical until our local dealer here had his blow up on the Dyno right at 600.  Again, anyone else can take that or leave it,  but when I get first hand info like that it forms my opinion.... 

The kicker is I run a sealed motor......  With the rules and restrictions on the open motors on asphalt they force your hand.  I'm in the market for a new motor and feel like I am playing Russian roulet with the sealed engine program. 

If they were capable of producing a product that was as good as,or better than the rest of the builders out there, why force everyone to use them? Shouldn't they be able to stand on their own merits, and their own performance, just like any other engine builder in the US?  If they proved they were as good as others, then people would use them instead of spending more money elsewhere to get a reliable product.  Instead they have a program the FORCES people to use them...that is what frustrates me. 

Again, my opinion, take it or leave it......

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2014, 08:36:55 am »
Just curious?  How many people on here actually have bought or planned on buying a new engine?   What is the reason for buying new?  Is there an advantage from rebuilt to new or just need new if you blow one up ?

I bought a brand new Loaded Blitz4 (w/ carbs) in early November. Total price was just under $5700 (sales tax sucks). The reason I bought a new one was that the internals are new.

I ran a sealed motor in 2012 that came with the car when I purchased it. I had it rebuilt at USLC engine shop before 2013. Rebuild price was  around $3300. It lasted 22 races before the head gasket blew.

I justified a new vs. rebuild for $2400 more to have all new internals vs. an older question mark.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

knoxracing

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2014, 11:30:19 am »
Chad, that was good feed back on your experience. I have customers that buy new motors and do the same, they will sell after a season and buy new. Sometimes the numbers work out and someone else gets a good deal on a motor.

Offline 83racedad

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2014, 08:53:37 pm »
Fantasyland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't even want to know my conversation today! I have had enough with this whole engine program from 600. If we can't fix your 5 race old engine just buy a new one. REALLY!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2014, 09:33:03 pm »
Well, I would like to hear about your conversation.
If nothing else, it could prepare others for what roadblocks may lie ahead for them if an unfortunate incident occurs
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2014, 07:47:45 am »
@83racedad......do tell!
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline 83racedad

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2014, 06:07:50 pm »
Sorry I have decided to keep my comments to myself. I will tell you we will be running 1200's this year instead of sealed engines. I will also tell you they are the best in the business, legal & last 30-40 races before rebuild. And will run up front every time. ;D ;) ;) ;)

Long live the 1200's!!!!

anything