Author Topic: Sealed engine pricing increase.  (Read 56489 times)

Offline canabl

Re: Sealed engine pricing increase.
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2014, 10:18:24 pm »
we are only new to the class in australia and buying cars from america that come in all shapes and states of dis repair. The old class owner spent weeks at the engine shop getting all the tips and I think also all the cheats because there are a few motors in their stable that have a whole new note to them.
We dont have the whole rebuild and tag issues YET but a new blitz without carbs is setting guys back $8000. then there is no one here that can rebuild them apart from the local bike mechanic...
I had a sealed blow four races into last season and our stock road bike motor gave the top guys a run for money all season with multiple podiums and lap records to boot. Still going strong for new car owner after 30 races.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2014, 10:23:53 pm »
Problem with keeping your opinions to yourself is nobody learns from your thoughts. I post what I think. Don't care who likes it or not. Do it in a polite way is all I ask.
The whole point of this site is for people to share their thoughts, opinnions, tips, help, etc....

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2014, 10:42:23 pm »
Adam,

Those that race in other countries have a whole set of problems that don't exist here in the states (at least not in as grand of scale). I know it's tough on you all.
That is what is important about people sharing information, thoughts and opinions. If nobody shared, none of us would learn and grow.

Thank You for sharing your thoughts and posts!

Steve

Offline 83racedad

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2014, 06:43:36 pm »
Steve I just did not want to blast any one. Please keep in mind we have been racing all spec. classes for better part of 12 years. My son is 17 years old & has been racing for those years racing 1/4 midgets, @10 mod lite, mini cups, arena racing, 13 Legends, 15 Asphalt Late model. as you may see everything we have raced except Late Model has been a spec class. So when I'm told you only have one engine builder to go to & you don't trust the product that goes out the front door. I get a little pissed!
As previously posted I have an engine I have purchased 4 years ago from a dealer when we first started Legends, his comment to me was do you want a good one or do you want one from 600. Of course you look at him with questions & say I want the best! The engine ran without an issue for 3 plus years maybe 30-40 races. Please keep in mind the last 2years has not been a lot. When we were at the Winternationals the engine sucked a valve (normal issue without a water cooled head)
USLC official said send it to me we can fix it. Sent it to them the next thing I hear is the block needs to be replaced. Because the head stud has gone through the block which was BS a tech had ran a tap to deep & broke the block. Made a call to GE in which he replied they would take care of it. Please keep in mind my estimate was under $2000.00. We received the engine back repaired. The bill $3200.00 I was good with that as long as the engine was good. about 5 races later a very loud knock developed I knew it broke a crank I do understand cranks break & if nothing had happened with the studs it would have happened anyway but someone might have seen it. Their  response  send it back  we might be able to  fix it will be about $2500.00 if not just buy a new one. We are not wealthy we do this as a family, we love racing  we also have some great friends we race with also. The pocket book just does have a new engine in it. I am not crying I just wanted a little help & that did not happen. I feel why they were in it they should have check it not just as I feel thrown it together. I do have friends that have been there they tell me everything is thrown on a bench. I have been in a lot of engine shops everything is on a cart and that cart follows that engine not just put in a pile. There's a lot more to the story just not ready to let it all out! By the way racers sorry for the book.,

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2014, 09:02:08 pm »
Point understood. Not a book, just your experience. Thank You for sharing!
You are not the first to expeience such events. Fortunately, Not all engine builders are just out to rob your bank account.
The sealed engine program has it's ups and downs. I, personally, would like to see a new model water cooled and fuel injected engine. Unfortunately; That would not fit a lot of folks budgets. I guess the larger question is how to make a switch to a different engine and keep the price within "Average Joe Racers" budget?  ???

Thank You for the introduction and racing experience also. I hope the site and the subjects brought up here help you and give you food for thought.

Regards,

Steve

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2014, 09:10:39 pm »
Wow Really ?
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline 83racedad

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2014, 09:46:23 pm »
Steve I do think it would be fairly simple without  hurting the lower budget teams or racers like most of us are. I really do understand the issues of changing engine platforms. I have seen it happen in the mod lite division they run a stock engine (out of a bike), a spec. engine, built engine & a large cc engine, all carry a different weight for the same class. We just need to find a good platform that makes since. Much like legends were back in the day  with Yamaha. Let USLC make the choice Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda etc. It's very easy to make it equal in speed. Much like running Crate engines against built LMSC engines the crates run a 4bbl LMSC 2bbl. Crates 3000# LMSC 3100#.  With equal cars with different engines same driver you would able to make the adjustment fairly easily. Look online you will find engine platforms very reasonable. I have built a Mod lite chassis Legends & Mod lites are so a like its crazy. Changing platforms in chassis would be very easy. I am willing to bet I could install one in 4hrs or less all parts are available from a number of Dwarf car suppliers. Hopefully someone will listen soon or we may not have enough cars for tracks to allow our class to run. Then we all lose!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2014, 10:11:25 pm »
Loss of car counts have been an ongoing issue. Not only Legends Cars, but Dwarf Cars and many other classes. Also, tracks are suffering from low attendance in some areas.
I get the weight differences for different engines. Still; The cost of an engine can be detrimental to some. The installation is simple; Fab up some new mounts, engine adapter, U-joints, perhaps a different driveshaft length, etc... Pretty straight forward. Still, the cost can hurt some of the budget racers. Legends are similar to the Dwarf Cars because that platform was the roots of Legends Cars. INEX took that plateform and made a national set of rules and a spec racer out of that. The shift to Wilwood calipers, aluminum spindles, etc... is nothing new or earth shattering. It has, however, put a crimp in the budget racers' pocketbook. That is why rule changes get evryone in such an uproar. Always a lot of discussion both pro and con. Good for our little sites page views and posts; Rough on some racers with little to no budget. Whatever the answer; It will be a trade off.

Steve

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2014, 11:56:56 am »
If anybody is interested in a 200hp package with oem components other than a drysump system, let me know...... Tunable with a laptop, methanol and e85 conversions available as well with efi. Priced at less than $7k

Offline 83racedad

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2014, 07:15:29 pm »
Hey Grape Competition what vehicle is the engine package mounted in. It appears to be a modified Legends?

Offline canabl

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2014, 08:58:56 pm »
Is that a westfileds class car? WOuld love to get one for a track car out here, wonder if one could be registered like a super 7 with all the correct road additional items.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2014, 10:30:16 pm »
I'll tell you it is not INEX legal for the Legends Car series races. What Grape does. Nice set up though!

NOW; Lets get back to our regularly schedualed thread.

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2014, 11:38:09 pm »
Not much more to say on the topic Steve.
They raised the prices of the engine, which is the title of the thread.

There are choices for racers to make though:
1) Buy a new 1250 engine
2) Buy a 1200
3) Have your current engine rebuilt, whether its a 1200 or a sealed 1250
4) Quit racing Legends

This one is pretty much played out
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2014, 06:21:18 am »
Maybe we should starte a new thread so stev will stop telling us to get back to the thread subject ?  dammmm feel like im back in school
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2014, 06:40:45 am »
 ;D ;D ;D