Author Topic: Sealed engine pricing increase.  (Read 43278 times)

Offline Earnst85

Re: Sealed engine pricing increase.
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 12:06:59 pm »
If the add on price for carbs is gonna be $800.....

Does that mean a new set of carbs went from $425 to $800?
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline Legends16

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 12:39:57 pm »

$800 is the list price, that’s not actually what it’s going to sell for right?

Really, if we are the only ones using this motor for the most part right? It would make more sense to switch to a motor that is still in production. This would make things considerably cheaper. What if Inex were to select a new motor that was $2000-$2500, tell people that in two years this is what’s going to be run. And say this motor is more powerful than the one we have, have them plate it, make them run more weight or find some way to bridge the gap a little. Have it so that the guys still running the 1200/1250 can still run it until its used up. Basically an engine build is about $2500 on average  right? Just a thought.

Regardless something needs to be done right? By the sounds of if this motor is going to slowly continue to go up in cost at no fault of Inex. Is slapping on an expensive water cooling system going to bring down the cost of an engine? Maybe rebuilds, but if you can shave 2-4k of a motor and racecar, that’s a pretty big deal.

Just some thoughts, I love these cars but IMO this is a pretty big issue that Inex needs to address if they want this series to grow more.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 01:27:56 pm »
This motor was produced for seven years and has not been produced for six years.

Wrong, wrong wrong...

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/products/motorcycles/sport-heritage/xjr1300.aspx

It has never gone of production since the inception in 1984 and millions have been made.

If that is what the mother ship is telling you then please do not believe everything they say.

Wrong, wrong, wrong

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 01:44:54 pm »
I know they are still making them but why the cost increase? It's not like they have dumped a lot of technology in this thing. But the more important question will be how long will the racers around the country let this continue to happen. I heard that a group out west has already not going to run the seals and just tech (rumor). That would be a great start but we need a water cooled INEXpensive motor.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline slack11

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 01:52:47 pm »
Does anybody know what a 1250 would cost from a Yamaha dealer instead of through USLC?
 Just curious.......

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 03:02:59 pm »
I know they are still making them but why the cost increase?

I would say it is 90% USLCI. The U.S. dollar is the highest today against the YEN since the lowest point of 2011/2012. I am sure there was some cost increase from Yamaha and the shipping to get the engine to the US, but they are in a long term contract with Yamaha.

But, since USLCI is the only place you can buy the engine as you cannot order it from a Yamaha dealer in North America/Canada they can basically name their price. They also now must break into every engine to change out the sleeves because they go out of round, so they claim they are saving you money in the first place.

If they want to bring this series back to an affordable series I have just one suggestion.

USLCI is in contract with Yamaha to buy a specified quantity of engines annually to allow them to keep importing them. So, if they were thinking of the racer, a spec series where everyone has the same engine to race with then there would only be one engine; period.

No rebuilds with bigger cylinders, better valve springs or valve jobs and all of the "bells & whistles" that I heave heard many a dealer say.

Nope, you can only buy a new engine; period. There can be something designed, like a break off bolt for the cylinder head and cam caps that if removed damages the engine beyond repair. They is someone tries to work on the engine they have basically ruined what they have.

Then, since they are not rebuilding engines anymore, only selling new ones directly from Yamaha, they buy more and maybe able to negotiate the price down for the future. Then they can offer the engine for even less, say like the old days at $3500.00.

But,. they will never do that, they make too much money building engines between the labor and parts they sell, and frankly it is not about saving the USLCI racer money, it is about raising the profit margin of USLCI.

The biggest problem that continues to stare me in the face every year is the fact the car counts are down all of the country so that is turn has the profit down,. So their solution is to raise price to those us use that still choose to participate.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 04:29:58 pm »
Not really trying to start something, but you think their focus is not so much on how to increase the car count thus increasing profit, rather their focus is on the profit and increasing the cost to subsidize the car count? have seen it happen and there no longer is an oval racing series with that Organization.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 04:57:06 pm »
Absolutely spot on in my opinion.
Losing cars=raising prices for those that still race.

Kind of like taxes, but I won't get political on here...  :-X
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 05:11:43 pm »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old/current price is $5325.00 WITH carbs.
New price is $5499 without carbs.

I'm sure they are pricing them without carbs so that it will seem to some people that it is only a $174 increase.

In reality, apples to apples, add the carbs on at $800.00, and it is a $974 price increase.
That's 18.29%

All I have to say is...Wow

#LongLiveThe1200
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 09:16:34 pm »
OK...Time to chime in again.  I had an extensive talk with Mr. Chapman(Jim sent him over by me... ;)) on Friday night of the Dirt Nationals this past Fall regarding resealing of current engines and rumored prices of new sealed engines.  I mentioned I had heard new engines coming out for next year were going to cost $6300 and he basically denied it or didn't want to talk about it at the time.  I told him the day engines for these Legend cars cost that much, the series will die a slow death unless something is changed in the engine compartment.  Well, low and behold, here we are going into next season and engine  price is $6300(with carbs).  Unless the engine rule is either changed to allow some sort of more economical engine as mentioned in previous posts, I firmly believe only the rich will survive and cars counts will continue to dwindle.  I love the Legend series as a whole, but this sealed engine price is way out of line.  As Jim says, Long  Live the 1200...
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 08:33:05 am »
Let's not forget these facts about buying a new "Loaded" Blitz4:
- It does not include:
         -Clutch Slave Cylinder & modified housing (for drive shaft coupler)
         -Headers / muffler / exhaust gaskets
         -Drive Shaft Coupler
         -Shift arm adapter
         -Clutch banjo line (to master cylinder)
         -Carbs (future)
         -Coils & bracket
         -Breather & line
& you have to cut the tab off the oil pan so it doesn't interfere with the steering shaft.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that it disappoints me to have drop so much money on a motor and have to buy/ do all that extra stuff.
I wish they came plug & play.

If someone were to buy a roller & decide to buy a new motor, just look at the add ons they need just to get the car on track.

Now, lets consider they want to add on features to match what most others are running:
-They would need to buy:
         -Remote oil filter puck
         -Red Box ignition conversion kit
         -Remote oil filter & bracket
         -Oil cooler/ bracket/ fan
         -Heavy duty clutch kit
         -Oil line & fittings
         -Overflow bottle

Like you guys said, raising prices (and not including parts) makes it harder and harder to keep racing and for new racers to be competitive because they end up buying used motors (all they can afford) which don't last and then they have to buy..... and it goes on and on....

Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 11:08:44 am »

$800 is the list price, that’s not actually what it’s going to sell for right?

We will see. Talked to my local Yamaha dealer this morning, and the carbs are no longer available in the US.
USLC must have gotten the exclusive right to sell, and are going to gouge your eyes out with it.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Legends16

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 01:03:14 pm »
Does anyone know if the rebuilding prices will change as well?

knoxracing

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 05:41:03 pm »
Rebuild prices will reamin the same. As far as plug and play, these motors have never been plug and play as with any form of racing. The price of carbs used to be $1200.00 ten years ago, then USLC started selling engines with or without carbs and they had a glutten of carbs and could offer them at a lower price. Yamaha is now not including carbs with every motor. So now it will be back to paying a premium for the carbs. I agree that the cost of this 4 cylinder air cooled motor is too much, unfortunely it is waht it is. Like I said keep rebuilding as much as possible.

Offline 83racedad

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 07:10:27 pm »
 I am going back a little bit I totally agree with Legends16 we need to experiment with some alternative engine platforms like GSXR1000, or R1 or even look at a little less HP engine like a GSXR600 or R6. Again we have ran both in a Mod lite on dirt & happen to be competitive running a 600 against the 1000's. We need a large group of the racing community to make a decision and try it. Look keep your 1200 or 1250 run them when you go to the National events. But on a local level run your own program. I am not a wealthy person but I would be willing to try something different. Just give the thumbs up & would put either one in both cars.
 There are a lot of ways to keep all engine groups competitive add weight, testing at one track 2 cars set up identical with the same driver. This is not that complicated. We need to do something now, losing  car counts is killing this sport. No driver shows up to race against 5 cars and no track owner wants a class with that type of count either. I will guarantee you make it affordable they will show up in droves. Thank you  ;D >:(

anything