Author Topic: Trailer/hauler  (Read 14168 times)

Offline JMitch77

Trailer/hauler
« on: January 19, 2014, 10:50:32 pm »
Hi guys, I've been racing street stock for the past couple of years and am looking at downsizing to a legend. My question is does anyone out there haul their car in a non-traditional method like a box van or something similar? An enclosed trailer is out of the budget and having somewhere to keep the car out of my small garage when needed would be helpful but I'm not sure how feasible it would be. Any ideas or suggestions?

Offline erich17

Re: Trailer/hauler
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 12:04:39 am »
I am not sure where your located but I have 2 open trailers for sale. Both are purpose built for legends and work great!

Offline ajagoditsh

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:53:32 am »
one of the guys that comes from Iowa once in a while uses an old u-haul. seems to work.

Tony
Tony Jagoditsh

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 08:34:58 am »
Justin,

You can use a landscape trailer or even a homemade one. Especially if your only running Trail-way (right down the road) & Lincoln. The out to out dimensions are 61" wide (dirt) x 10'-6" long. If you are interested, come to the seminar I'm giving at Dirttrackin on Sunday @ 1 PM. We can meet up & I can answer any questions you have.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline phylzub02

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 09:08:29 am »
We have used a box van..It was a 14 ft one.. had everything on the walls and a generator even.we cut a u haul ramp in 1/2.we did mount a winch in the front too.but 3 guys pushed it in.. we did use it for over a year and still have it..
and now we have used a 26ft box truck that will haul 2 of them.and we use the same ramps also..thanks frank....208-353-2283

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:48:27 am »
Justin,

I have had similar thoughts of using an old U-haul truck. My reasoning, twofold; A mobile garage (of sorts), and solves the problem of having to buy a seperate tow vehicle and enclosed trailer. I have been looking for one that is 20+ feet, so I could mount a work bench, cabinets, generator, etc... As with an enclosed trailer, it would also serve as a rolling billboard for sponsors. Of course, when I want to locate a used box van I can't find one for a reasonable price in my area. lol!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 10:06:20 am »
The U-Haul works well.
Theres even a couple guys in WI that have converted old school buses, One hauls his Modified in it, and the other one hauls 2 4 cylinders.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline JMitch77

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 12:12:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've looked around at the landscaping trailers and that looks to be the cheapest route for getting there and back. I do have an old homemade trailer with a box and tire rack on it but it was made for a micro sprint and isn't big enough to hold a legend. Thought about possibly enlarging it or just fixing it up and selling it. Luckily it does have a title which is a big deal in PA.

I'll have to check around some auctions in the area for old U-Haul trucks and things of that nature.

Chad, I'm planning on being there for the seminar Sunday. I'm sure I'll have some questions for you. Looking forward to it.

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 12:29:59 pm »

Chad, I'm planning on being there for the seminar Sunday. I'm sure I'll have some questions for you. Looking forward to it.

At least I'll have an audience of at least one.... Besides the other Central PA Legends guys only there to make fun of me.

It will be cool if we can get you in the series, I know you'll have fun. I think Bill Foster is looking into getting a legend also.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 01:04:12 pm »
I got a 7*14 enclosed trailer for like 2500 or 3k. Thought about about going open trailer but didn't want to be exposed like that during raceday. Prob the cheapest enclosed route.
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline racintaz99

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 01:25:43 pm »
Your best bet is to look at www.uhaul.com and look for the closest location and see what they have for sale.

Scott

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 01:27:04 pm »
I have $400 into my open trailer. It was converted from an old camping trailer. Ramps and tire rack should add about another $100 if I can find the steel at the recycle yard.
Have another $3,500 invested in tow vehicle (needed another car anyway).

Steve

Offline JMitch77

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 03:33:23 pm »
I have $400 into my open trailer. It was converted from an old camping trailer. Ramps and tire rack should add about another $100 if I can find the steel at the recycle yard.
Have another $3,500 invested in tow vehicle (needed another car anyway).

Steve

Do you happen to have a picture of your trailer? I'm just curious as to how you have it set up. If I go the trailer route, I'll need to keep it on the light side so my Sport Trac can handle it. I've thought about getting a full-size pick-up but can't bring myself to trade it.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 09:10:24 pm »
Check this thread... I think it is page 6
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=145.0
The cheesey tin fenders are now gone. The tops of the fenders are going to be the ramps (easy access). Also saves me some money on fenders.

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 02:54:57 pm »
Just a basic 16' flatbed trailer (2x6 deck). It has dual axles and electric brakes. Nothing fancy. I installed some heavyduty hooks (bolted to the frame). There is space on the tounge to mount a toolbox or winch.

Steve

anything