Author Topic: sealed carby kit  (Read 6982 times)

Offline canabl

sealed carby kit
« on: January 19, 2014, 04:26:22 pm »
Hi all,
We have new legends landing in australia with the sealed blitz motors and the tuning that they supply us is lean for the conditions we race in. red needles with 122.5 main, picture attached.
Redline were the kits of choice but we hear they have closed down and no longer any in stock with our supplier.
Can anyone shed some light on where and who can supply either kits or jets to richen these motors up.
Redline specs, 42.5 pilots, 127.5 main, 160 air jets.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: sealed carby kit
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 08:11:46 pm »
Talk to Jim. He sells Redline and can likely get you the hook up with who you need to contact.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

knoxracing

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 08:12:02 pm »
The configuration show and shipped byu USLC is avery good kit. You could install 125 main jets to richen the carbs along with 40 pilot jets. The configuration shipped to you should work; we like these as well as the redline kits.

Offline canabl

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 04:57:01 am »
Jim is out of kits and no one over here in oz has seen this style before so not sure what we would need to order. I do have the additional jets from previous redline kit, can these be used or is the internal seat design different across the two brands to work with needle profiles?

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 08:19:38 am »
Yes the jets can be used with the red needles, I would not think you will need 127.5 jets. In most areas of the US the 122.5 or even the 120 is pretty typical with the red needles. This would be with the 137.7 pilot and 55 air jets.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 10:08:03 am »
Ray Scott has retired, Redline is no longer in business
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 10:12:48 am »
Thanks Jim! I know he was a member on the site a few years back. Was wondering why I could not find his site.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 10:32:18 am »
The red needle supplied by the engine shop is a stock needle profile with a second clip location. The upper slot is the same as the factory needle and the lower one raises' the needle .020" which is the same thickness as the the washer commonly used to raise the needle.

I have no issue with the stock needle or the red needle, both will work fine as long as it is dialed in properly for your conditions.

So, the needle you have will work fine, I would start with the needle in the raised position. After that you still might have to add a washer for further adjustment.

and no, you do not need a carb kit in your carbs to make them run, I do not sell, recommend or offer any "aftermarket carb kits" as you can do the same thing with all stock components, you just need to get the right combination for where you are.

If carb kits were required items to be a winner, I would use them and recommend them to my customers. But I don't and every car RPM has placed on the cover of the rule book since 2005 has been using stock carb parts tuned properly and it does feel good beating guys who like to throw money at their race cars to go "faster".

As far as the other jetting recommendations, I can't comment because there is not enough information provided here to determine what jets are required.

Also, the "main jet" you have listed in the photo is not a seat. There is no seat for the needle as it controls fuel flow around the stem of the needle not the tip. The "main jet" is just a specific size orifice that regulates how much fuel is metered into the carbs.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline canabl

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 05:55:40 pm »
im not up to speed with the carb setups as i have worked more with the mechanical injections on midgets and fuel injection of japanese cars.
We have our races in high humidity and 40 degree C days so the poor motors cop a hard time. The larger jets helped with lowering oil temps 50 degrees also eliminating off throttle crackle and a crisp response to throttle and idle.
There is another class here that run the same motors on ashphalt but their very secretive with any of thier setups, as i know most others would also be.
Is there a book that would detail what each circuit does to the carb tuning?

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 10:46:26 pm »
You tune carbs with data aq and or a fuel flow meter and watch the BSFC number swing on a dyno.  That being said, we sell kits, but I have to have the carb bodies to modify circuits to make them work properly.  A 36mm carb on a 1250 cc engine is massively undersized.  With a giant draw on the carb it is impossible to get one part of the fuel curve rich enough without being pig rich at the top...

Acceleration rate and amount of time driver spends off throttle are a huge part of carb tuning, and why it's sometimes driver specific.  No such thing as 1 kit fits all for racing carbs.

Offline riptide60

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 05:19:36 pm »
The red needle kit from us legends is just a stock Yamaha needle anodized red. Thats it they drill the main jet out normally. We've ran them on some of our cars we take care of and there horrible.  And sad part is your jus paying for what originally comes in the carbs from Yamaha.  What we did as well of the majority of the racers out there in legends do is sent them to hank scott an he puts his jet kit in there (the best by far) he synchronizes them and runs them on dunno before you get them back ready to plug on and go. Just my opinion and I'm sure many would agree. You can also buy the kit from him and put it in yourself as well.  -rip to race