Author Topic: Oil Cooler Mounting Height  (Read 11891 times)

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
Oil Cooler Mounting Height
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:48:47 am »
There is a rule saying oil cooler "scoop" cannot extend below the bumper.  This is about 2" below the bottom of the frame horns on my car.
Obviously, if you use the scoops I've seen, with their upward slope on the bottom surface, the oil cooler fins would be a little higher and perhaps the fittings or mountings might be at the 2" below level.

There is a tubular guard that protects the steering gear, among other functions it serves. It is 4" below the bottom of the frame horn.

What is the lowest point that you would think is best for the lowest part of the oil cooler, including mounting brackets and fittings?  Assume no scoop.

Your opinions and experience are appreciated.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Oil Cooler Mounting Height
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 11:04:32 am »
Assuming you are running asphalt, I can't say much, other than the lower that you go, make sure you are using a single pass oil cooler (both ports on top, at least that's how the Setrab's are)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:51:51 am »
I'm running on dirt.  And, I'd like to be reasonably comfortable that an occasional off track excursion to the infield (some inside berms seem to be as high as 6-8" on a wet track) would not result in my cooler being torn off.... or if I happened to overlap the edge of the 4-6" high "cushions" that develop on some tracks. I've seen the scoops on many cars, on dirt, and it looked to me that they would be like a shovel pushing dirt and gravel toward the cooler.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 12:20:41 pm »
I haven't seen any scoops around here (WI) on dirt, just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
I have my 2 pass oil cooler mounted level with the top of the frame rails, haven't lost one yet.
Don't know that I would be comfortable mounting it any lower than that
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 02:06:56 pm »
They don't hang below the bumper so it shouldn't be a problem. I guess if you try hard enough you can tear up anything.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline canabl

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 04:29:33 pm »
we ran a fluidyne cooler setup that was from original ashpalt setup on the dirt over here. We had the scoop and the bottom edge was just lower than the front bumber. We changed this setup for dual alloy tube coolers as we always ran on a very tacky track and lucky that the one time we were forced off the racing line into the slop, the scoop dug in and ploughed the nose down filling the entire front end and steering full of clay.
Managed to wrestle the steering clear enough to fight back to 4th although this was the last time we ran that scoop.

Offline albertjames

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 06:39:16 pm »
I put a transmission cooler on my car, and I had that very issue. I ended up putting a check valve on one line, and a very light "pressure relief valve" on the other line. This keeps oil in the loop and prevents it from draining back.
Sanford and Son Junk Cars - Junk Cars Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia