Author Topic: wilwood rear disk brakes  (Read 26868 times)

Offline Racingtrader.ca

• Racing Classifeds
wilwood rear disk brakes
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:34:43 pm »
Will we see these anytime soon. I'm looking at ordering a set for the front this week but if they are close to a rear kit I'll wait and get both at the same time.

Mark Williams
Owner
Racing Classifieds & Track Forums / Sticker Fool
Tel: 902-448-6903

Offline Vern Houseman

Re: wilwood rear disk brakes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:54:00 am »
I was told at 600 they are comming soon, but a new rule will say if you run the new fronts you have to run the new backs too
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:47:41 am »
Part of what Vern is telling you is because they came out with the Willwood and most of the BIG teams in NC are still on the old brakes. They are still spending $1000+ 0n front brakes and USLC is not selling the Willwoods like they thought. So the thought is, if we offer back disc and make you run the front we can sell them. If all else fails then they will just make it a rule to run the the Willwoods. The last part is my opinion.

PS there was some rumor of quick changes also but it is just an idea that they are thinking about for down the road
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:43:38 am »
OK guys. Per GE Chapman today. The Wilwood rears will most likely NOT be available in 2014, if they are offered it will be very late in the year. The rule will not be FORCE you to buy all 4 at once (fronts and rear). You will not be able to mix or match the fronts or mix and match the rears. You will have to run the same on each of the front and the same on each of the rears.

Quick change will be far away and may never happen. It has been discussed for years, then USLC had there own center sections and ends produced.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 02:16:25 pm »
That is what I said Dennis but just from a different angle. If they offer rear disc then you would have better brakes than the guys that chose to stay with the old brakes. Thus making you (not forcing) buy the new brakes. It is kind of like you can still run the 1200 but once they put the 165lbs PSI rule on them it was all but the end for them (except for dirt). You still run them but it is hard to keep up. Again my opinion.  ::)
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 08:06:53 pm »
I am going to guess that that IF and When the rear discs become available for the Legends Cars; It will be like the front Wilwood brake system; Not maditory (for now, at least).
Drum brakes are antiquated and just don't supply the stopping power that discs offer. My opinion; The lighter weight of the calipers and advantage in stopping power... Big Plus!
Hawk Machine makes the brackets necessary for mounting the Wilwood brake calipers.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 08:30:28 pm »
Quick change will be far away and may never happen. It has been discussed for years, then USLC had there own center sections and ends produced.
Is the cost the reason that it may never happen? And what happened when they had theirs made?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 08:43:46 pm »
The Dwarf Car bunch have been using these same Wilwood brakes on all 4 for years. Cost is not really bad.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 09:24:15 pm »
Is the cost the reason that it may never happen? And what happened when they had theirs made?

They still have them. Buy a new rear end from USLC and it has INEX stamped into it.
Wondering why they have started discontinuing gear ratios if a switch isn't coming though
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 10:18:19 am »
They are discontinuing some ratios, because they don't sell enough of them. When they buy gear sets, they need to buy them in lots of 200 sets. even if they are getting them for $150/set, $30K is a lot of cash to have sitting on the shelf collecting dust. How many tracks do you know of that run a 4.30 or even a 4.10? Not many. And the ones that do, you can likely use another gear and be VERY close to the same ratio.

Quick change will not happen anytime soon. They are simply to expensive.

Rear disc will happen, and likely it will happen in 2015. It will not be mandatory, although I expect most will change sooner rather than later, as the rear discs will be a big improvement over the drums.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 02:13:06 pm »
Wait a minute, two of the 4 tracks we run every rear use the 4.10
Are you telling me that the 4.10 is going to be discontinued?
How do people find these things out?

Gerad
Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 02:30:17 pm »
Yes, 4.30 is gone, and 4.10 is the next to go, if it hasn't stopped already .
It's really a shame that USLC bought the exclusive rights to these gear sets, then discontinue them.
A lot of drifters and pony stock guys use the 4.30, and so do I and some of my customers.
If they don't want to carry them anymore, fine, but then need to open the discontinued ratio's back up for the public to purchase.
Call Richmond and they will tell you that you have to buy it from USLC only, they have the exclusive rights to all the Toyota 6.7's, but USLC wont sell them to you.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Okiesnake

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 12:56:45 pm »
It's 2015 - Any update on When and IF Rear Disc?

Offline knoxracing

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 01:43:43 pm »
Possibly late in the year, they have a car on display with them.
DENNIS KNOX
Buckeye Legends
Official USLC Dealer - Ohio
330-310-9212

Offline Okiesnake

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 11:43:28 am »
Thanks Dennis.
Do you know if they appear to be similar to the rear disc on the Thunder Roadster?