Author Topic: Restricter plate  (Read 8496 times)

DrTrey

Restricter plate
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:52:58 pm »
Can anyone tell me how to get more RPM running a restricter plate . I'm running the lowest gear we can use. And being lapped.

Thanks
Drtrey

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
Re: Restricter plate
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 12:26:09 am »
Any chance you can expand on that?  Not sure what you mean by a restricter plate.

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline fastmantom

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 03:11:31 am »
Some tracks are going to a two hole restrictor plate that goes between carb and intake.

Dr Trey, Where are you running?  What gear do you currently run?  What size track? Thanks
I don't know if I can make the car win, but I think I can make it run fast enough to where people think we're cheating.

If they ask if we're cheating, smile and answer,"Yes".  They won't believe you if you say,"No".

DrTrey

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 12:47:01 pm »
GEAR  15-53
TRACK  LANIER
MY CAR RUNS GOOD. BUT THE TOP 4 RUN AWAY WITH IT. I"M NEW WITH RACING AND LIKE FOR MY SON TO RUN BETTER.

THANKS
DRTREY

Offline fastmantom

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 01:34:09 pm »
DR Trey, I was there helping the 46 this past weekend in the Young Guns class.  15-53 is the only gear allowed for that track. 

What kind of setup are you running? Did your driver have the gas down around the entire track?  Luke (#46) picked up almost 3/4 of a second just by us convincing him to go through the corners wide open. 

Billy Fulson, LJ Klemmons, and I setup bando's and legends here in Georgia.  If you are interested in us doing it for you give me a call, 678 416 8884. 

If you are not interested in having us do it for you, let me know what setup you have on the car and I can help you from there. 

Tom Quattlebaum
I don't know if I can make the car win, but I think I can make it run fast enough to where people think we're cheating.

If they ask if we're cheating, smile and answer,"Yes".  They won't believe you if you say,"No".

DrTrey

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 03:25:04 pm »
String  LR 125
              RR 350
Cross % 47

LF - RF  1/2 stager
LR - RR  1 1/2 stager

I asked my son about having the gas down. He said he had the hammer down the entire time.
My car RPM wasn't as loud as for the top Four cars. I know there are a lot of secrets in racing
I"m trying to learn them at each track. Any info is great appreciated. I have your cell too I will be calling.

Thanks
Drtrey

Offline fastmantom

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 05:44:39 pm »
Cross may have been a little too high for the spring combo on the rear. 

With the mandatory gear, the only other way to get the car really really rolling is to put bigger circumference tires on it.  This can be accomplished by letting the tires sit with 30-50 lbs of air in them in an attempt to let them grow. 

Also, something I didn't find out until right before the race is that the chip was not mandatory since they were running restrictor plates.  I"m pretty sure that picked us up a couple of tenths at least. 

For Lanier, with the bandos on restrictors and a stock gear, it really comes down to getting all the binds out of the car.  It needs to be "free" handling, with as little steering input as possible.  Since your driver is new, it will be tough to get good information regarding the handling of the car.  You really have to watch the car close going through the corners.  If you can see the front tires move, there is a handling problem.  If you see the driver turning to the left way too much, the car needs to be loosened up a bit.  If the driver is steering slightly to the right to keep from spinning, the car needs to be tightened up a bit. 

Generally at the racetrack we make these adjustments with the rear springs.  If the car is too loose, we'll back off of the rr spring 1/2 round and put 1/2 round into the lr.  If the car is too tight, it'll be opposite (screwing into the rr and screwing off of the lr).

Hope this helps, let me know if you are goin to Cordele this weekend.

DrTrey

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 07:59:35 pm »
Thanks  so much for your info. Now where do I send the check. We are going to Watermelon this weekend.  I'm using the same setup as AMS, but with the chip.
I will call you when I get there. We can talk then about setuping up our car for the next race.

Thanks again
Drtrey

Offline fastmantom

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 08:27:35 pm »
The reason why the three of us started getting into the setup biz for legends and bandos was not for monetary gain.  These are supposed to be classes where people learn to race.  You can't learn to race if you are 1/2 lap ahead, or 1/2 lap behind.   You can only learn to race when you are around others.  My information is always free and true to the best of my knowledge.  The only reason we charge for work done in the shop is to help offset the time away from a real job, lol. 

What class do you run and which number are you guys?

anything