Author Topic: all opinions wanted (on cooling)  (Read 9293 times)

Offline legend7

all opinions wanted (on cooling)
« on: December 02, 2013, 06:43:06 pm »
Let's just say im building a near race ready legend car as a toy (possibly street legal). I'm running stock yamaha location and type of oil filter. I know the more cooling the better but money is always an issue soooooo... I would like any input on what I should use as a minimum starting point for things like oil cooler size and fans. I have a stock fj1200 engine from a bike and I'm at the point of taking of the original cooler out and puting something else in... I'm also tryin to figure out who to buy from so I will also take recommendations and or quotes..

"Dime at a Time"

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: all opinions wanted (on cooling)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 08:04:33 pm »
You will get a few schools of thought on this I am sure.
The fact to remember is that this is an air cooled engine, not an oil cooled engine.
Putting it sideways in a car and restricting the airflow to it is what is the problem.

Having maximum airflow to the engine is very important in my opinion.
What I personally run and recommend is the Setrab 920 oil cooler. I don't even run the fan pack that they make for it (I race dirt), but if you are going to be racing asphalt or driving on the street/idling I think the fanpack is a must. Here is a link to it on my website if you are interested:
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/apps/webstore/products/show/329017
The 920 is a low profile cooler that allows a lot more air to get to the engine, yet it is wider, so you do not loose a lot of cooling surface. It is also the cooler that the Setrab engineers recommended to USLC (600 Racing at that time) for use with the Legends car, and is the cooler/fan set-up used on many of the SCORE and TORC series 1600 Buggies using air cooled VW engines.

I am not a proponent of a giant cooler/coolers in front of the engine blocking almost all of the air flow to the air cooled engine

My opinion

Jim
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 10:11:38 am »
for a street legal car, I'm not sure it will be that much of an issue. You will not be turning the 9-10K rpms seen in a racing environment, but more likely 6-7K at most. An oil cooler is a must, and likely one with a fan just in case, but I wouldn't go crazy on it.

If you do want the best cooling out there, the current Fluidyne setup is about the best you can get. The main oil cooler, combined with a top end oil cooler will reduce oil temps dramatically. Another item to consider is a NACA duct placed in the hood directing air to the back 2 cylinders.

If you need further info on the fluidyne items, let me know as I sell there products and can assist you further. Again, i don't really know if that is needed though for the lower RPM's you will be seeing.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline legend7

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 10:49:16 am »
Thanks for the help so far!  So should I focus more creating air flow around the engine than getting air to the oil cooler? I know the oil cooler needs air flow but if I didn't run a fan on the cooler but had lots of air movement (via other fans) to the engine , would it be ok?
"Dime at a Time"

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 12:55:48 pm »
I have seen guys that didn't want to put a hole in their hood use a 3" brake fan mounted on the firewall to blow air across the rear of the motor.
Can't say how effective it is because I never tried it, but as Brad said, you're not going to be abusing it like we do.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline amp racing

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 03:40:37 pm »
jim
 I installed those head fans on a home made bracket have about 2 inchs of space between hood and fans works well.. I think the fans that stick threw the hood are in violation of the scoop rule of 3/8 inch..

joe

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 03:51:17 pm »
I was referring to Setrab's dual cooling fans built for the 920 cooler.

As far as holes in hoods and fenders, I've seen so much in violation of USLC rules lately, we might as well just run without bodies  ::)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline legend7

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 07:49:03 pm »
If I was to use the setrab 920 cooler and fed and returned to the ports in the pan that are behind the exhaust...what size line should I run?? From what I can tell from yamaha specs, 3/8" line with a/n 6 fittings would be correct .... can anyone confirm??
"Dime at a Time"

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 10:15:29 pm »
Yes, the fractional equivalent to 3/8 is -6.
Setrab has adapters in -6 for the M22 ports in the cooler.
That would be fine to run
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Legends16

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 05:15:42 pm »
I have seen guys that didn't want to put a hole in their hood use a 3" brake fan mounted on the firewall to blow air across the rear of the motor.
Can't say how effective it is because I never tried it, but as Brad said, you're not going to be abusing it like we do.

This is what I am using and it works well. Its a 3 inch bildge pump fan for a boat mounted to the firewall. I dont have a pic of mine handy, but you you do a search on engine cooling you will find the thread with pics. If anyone plans to do this to their race car, make sure they keep in mind of the rulebook. You cant blow air into the filters.

anything