Author Topic: New guy with questions  (Read 8347 times)

Offline mdhyams

New guy with questions
« on: November 13, 2013, 05:34:35 pm »
I am looking at Legends for next year.  I am 6'4" and about 280.  Will I even fit in a car and is so what type?  I was told they make a tall coupe but I can't find anything on them.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: New guy with questions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 08:21:28 pm »
You can fit in a car. When I started I was 6' 250+ and didn't have any problems, and there was guy closer to 300# racing with us at the time.
It'll be cozy, but it can be done, just make sure you don't skimp on safety to do it.
I believe you will probably want a 37 sedan.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 08:51:05 pm »
Lots of big and tall guys race these cars. Read some of the old threads. Lots on this subject.
Welcome to the site!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline slack11

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 08:51:47 pm »
The guy I bought my sedan from was 6' 4"and probably 250 ish and he could fit.   I think you could make it work.  A dealer would most likely work with you before you bought in terms of seats, etc. to make sure you fit before buying.

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 10:13:10 pm »
Yes, they do make a 34 Coupe "fat boy" chassis. It will help you a lot as it allows the seat to be rearward a few inches, this could be helpful to you.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 05:31:47 am »
Ya Slack11 I sent him a PM, hope all is well with you
Dave

Offline JLowe18

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 02:37:32 pm »
I am about your size and I had USLC modify  a 4 bar sedan to build me a Fat Boy chassis . I also worked with Butler Built to build me a seat that lays back a little more than the normal 20 degrees. My issue is one of the "halo" bars is too close to my helmet for comfort. I need to talk to them and see if there is anything they can do for me to help me out with that.

I am in there pretty snug but make it work. It can be a little claustrophobic sitting on the line waiting to race but once I hit the track I forget all about it. I have found that if I remove the steering wheel and open the door if the race before us runs long it can be pretty comfortable in there.

Offline mdhyams

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 09:25:19 pm »
Thanks guys for all the info.  I will see if I can find more info on the fat boy chassis.  I can handle the tight spaces I was on Submarines for 4 years when I was in the Navy, of course I was 90 pounds lighter.