Author Topic: Bando racers please ask for help!  (Read 24367 times)

Offline erich17

Bando racers please ask for help!
« on: October 28, 2013, 10:46:32 pm »
I have been working on and eating up bando's for a number of years.  I always see dads or crew members struggling at the track.  Please post questions on here and I will do my best to explain or help out. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Bando racers please ask for help!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 07:52:09 am »
Hi Matt,

We haven't had too many Bandolero questions in awhile. Quite a few of the Bando kids have moved up to Legends.
The most common questions that I get are asking for specific setups for tracks and gearing.
It is hard to find Bandolero information. We do have a bit in old threads.
Hopefully your offer to help will generate some new questions.
Thank You for your offer to help!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline erich17

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 08:29:54 am »
Steve,

I have been getting several calls from parents since I have posted my bando for sale.  I don't have a problem helping teams so I figured I would post it so everybody can ask.  To all the new racers the only stupid question is a question not asked, we all started with no clue so please ask before getting frustrated or doing the wrong thing.

Offline dbradley

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 07:38:06 am »
Hi Matt,
We race Bando's up at New Hampshire Motor Speedway...It is a 1/4 mile kind of egg shaped track...turns 1/2 very tight...3/4 much more open but both turns have transitions...tough track to get a handle on...Im wondering your theory on the big front end splits...I always have trouble with getting the car through wheel base tech when trying to use them....I have a very small driver, 50 lbs, so I have to use LOTS of lead...I have trouble  getting the car loosened up/roll through the corners. The car seems to want to skid through 1/2...I actually went down with RR spring to get more mechanical roll.. doesn't carry LF tire, rolls better through corner and I don't see RF tire getting hot.   It doesn't technically make sense....but it seems works better.
Thoughts???
Darin

Offline erich17

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 09:31:00 pm »
Please share with me the setup your currently running.  Springs, tire pressure, ride heights. I have a feeling the car has to much chassis tilt on the frontend which will cause it to be inconsistent with a non moving "suspension" front end.

Offline modman

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 07:53:18 pm »
well I made the decision to move my son out of 1/4 midgets and just bought a new bando.  he will be running on a asphalt 1/4 mile track and I have been all over this forum reading everyone's advice.  I will know more when I get to the track but im looking to get a close set up before I get there.  I know nothing about these yet but have a lot of questions still.  when 600 assembles the car im sure set up is not in their mind!  so im tearing it down and starting at square one. so if there is anything i should know first i would appreciate the heads up.
how close are the shock springs that come with the car?  from other posts I need to change the springs out, but i don't see anything on shocks. 
what about carb tuning?  does anyone have a good place to start.   
I appreciate any help I can get and im sure as I put the car back together I will have more questions, thanks

Offline mch46

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 12:49:11 am »
Welcome to Bando racing.  You'll find more info regarding Area 51 than you will Bando "secrets".  But....most of what you learned to be true with 1/4 midgets will hold true for Bandos, such as:  Flowed and blueprinted carbs, dyno'd engines, good tires (properly cut), plugs, jetting, spring splits, air pressures, gearing, etc.  are all important.  If you bought a new car, you got a book from 600 with a suggested set-up.....never use that set-up for anything !!  It just will not work for most tracks.  Where are you running, restrictor plate or not, flat track, banked track, is it a "football field track" 1/4 or a Martinsville type 1/4,  is there a gear rule, etc.  There are some "tricks", but you'll never see them in print on a forum like this.  I don't mean to dishearten you, but thats just a fact.  The good news is, the info is there, just not publicly.  Give us some more info, and I'll try to help.
Mike Hudson

Offline modman

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 09:48:04 am »
Thanks mike,
Where do you suggest sending the carbs out to?
So far it's unrestricted which might change. The cars are new to the area so rules might change. And no gear
1/4 mile semi banked track.  Pretty open corners.
Now about cutting tires, don't the rules state that you can't modify them? Or am I mis reading it. I would appreciate any help.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 09:54:43 am »
I believe Mike still does Bando carbs. I've heard good stuff about his work also.

Sent you some set up help. Hope that gets you in the ball park as a place to start.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline modman

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 12:15:31 pm »
Thank you I think that will be great starting point. I'm just trying to keep from tearing up our or a another car 

Offline mch46

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 09:54:15 pm »
No tire prep or soaking allowed, its a "dry tire" rule.  But cutting tires is allowed and is a MUST.  Feel free to give me a call at 919-730-3596 and I'll try and help or get you pointed toward someone in your area who can help.

Offline modman

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 09:53:29 pm »
Thanks mike is Sunday late afternoon ok to call? Say 3-4?

Offline mch46

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 12:39:01 am »
Thanks fine.  Actually, any day after 10 am until midnight is about my standard telephone hours.  lol

Offline Racedad12

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 12:07:28 am »
Thanks for this forum i am new to Bandolero racing!

Offline mch46

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 04:56:01 pm »
Welcome to Bando racing..............the most exciting and fulfilling frustrations you'll ever have in racing.  lol.  Seriously, of all the racing I've done in 40 years, Bando's were the most fun.

anything