Author Topic: Burnt oil smell.  (Read 15417 times)

Offline Racingtrader.ca

• Racing Classifeds
Burnt oil smell.
« on: October 20, 2013, 02:30:03 am »
I have always done regular oil changes but have never rebuilt a motor.  I was with a engine tech who dissembled my motor to change the starter chain and the smell was horrible it stunk the garage with a burnt oil smell. Is that common or should I change my oil (20/50 castrol non synthetic) or start doing a flush between changes. The oil that came out of it was 2 races old.

Mark Williams
Owner
Racing Classifieds & Track Forums / Sticker Fool
Tel: 902-448-6903

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Burnt oil smell.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 10:25:33 am »
I would change to a synthetic oil
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Racingtrader.ca

• Racing Classifeds
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 10:41:23 am »
I took a set of clutch disks out a few years ago was that because I had mixed the 2 syntactic and non? I have just stuck with non ever since.
Mark Williams
Owner

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 01:09:55 pm »
Whenever you mix 2 unlike substances, the result will be the same as the lesser of the 2 substances, be it oil, brake fluid, whiskey, or whatever.
I tried standard motorcycle oil for a very short time, and, on dirt, where we run cooler temps, it was burnt at the end of every race.
That experiment lasted 4 races, and we went back to synthetic.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 07:44:15 pm »
What Jim is referring to is a motorcycle synthetic oil for a wet clutch application, not just a standard automotive synthetic oil.  I used a Mobil1 synthetic oil for motorcycle wet clucthes this entire past season and had no problems.

Good luck!
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline Racingtrader.ca

• Racing Classifeds
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 08:04:36 pm »
Thanks I did not realize standard automotive and motorbike synthetic were different. I will try some next season.
Mark Williams
Owner

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 08:36:30 pm »
From what I understand also, is that it is not a good thing to change back to the  standard dino oils after using synthetics.
Besides, the synthetics last longer between changes, on average.
I have been doing some experimenting with synthetic oils on my tow vehicle. I am now running 40 degrees cooler engine temps, and have gained almost 5 mpg.
Included in those numbers are differential, transmission and transfer case oils.

As mentioned in earlier posts, You do need to use oil that is compatible with the wet clutch system. Mobile, Valvoline, AmsOil and several others make synthetic oils that are compatable for bike engine/ transmissions (clutches). Look at some of the old threads on the "Great Oil Debate". That should give you an idea of what people are using and why whatever oil you use should have a JASO rating.

Should it smell burnt? No. Could be due to "cooking" the oil (High engine temps) or burnt up clutch disks. Both smell aweful! lol!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 10:14:14 pm »
Thanks I did not realize standard automotive and motorbike synthetic were different. I will try some next season.
Automotive oils have additives like friction modifiers to minimize friction, thus extending drain intervals and reducing wear. Motorcycle engines like ours, the engine and transmission share the oil, you need friction for clutch operation.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline albertjames

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 06:44:37 pm »
Could be a piston issue, could be a gasket issue, I'd say get it seen to by an expert, it could be nothing or it could be a rebuild.
Sanford and Son Junk Cars - Junk Cars Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia