Author Topic: Different interpretation - Tread Depth Rule  (Read 16023 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Different interpretation - Tread Depth Rule
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 12:26:45 pm »
It was cool back in the day when we were all on the same tire, you could bounce back and forth between asphalt and dirt without having extra sets of tires.

Those days are long gone. USLC gave us dirt racers a dirt racing tire, and the racing has improved greatly, not only has it made the car faster and easier to handle, it is safer as there are less one car spins (at least in my observation).

Since the line has been set between racing surfaces, I think the asphalt guys deserve a racing tire also. If extra gussets are necessary in the rear, then so be it, its in the name of safety. A 13" race tire will be cheaper than the Federal (well, until USLC puts their stamp on it), and there will be no need to send out for camber cutting.

Just my hillbilly dirt racer opinion

JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline amp racing

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 01:34:48 pm »
they run dwarfs up my way..a lot of legends chassis with the hoosier tire, last at least 18 to 20 races, no issues.. I can not see how a race tire that has grip can be dangerous...but I must say we never tried them..the scca road course legends also use slicks I've been told..
joe

Offline slack11

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 01:46:21 pm »
When you say "dangerously fast" what exactly do you mean?  How much quicker than the treaded tires were they?  A couple of tenths, or was it seconds....

Offline vince6b

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 03:42:21 pm »
I guess if you ran a sticky tire it would be dangerously fast, but if you keep the tire at or around 60 or above I think it would be just fine. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 09:20:59 pm »

Legends and Dwarf cars have been running slicks for a long time in SCCA and asphalt tracks. Road courses are extremely fast. Slicks give them the grip they need.
Some groups do run a duro reading. I, for one, would like to see a pavement tire instead of a generic tire. The DOT rules don't so much apply in this day and age. DOT tires come in many compounds anymore.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 08:56:42 am »
Like I said just make it hard so it will last and that will take some speed out of it too. You don't have to go fast to have good racing. Maybe we should start putting a bug in USLC ear for what that's worth.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Toyotaracer

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 12:13:18 pm »
Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice president of competition. “As the sport’s sanctioning body, it is our responsibility to ensure there is a fair and level playing field for all of our competitors and this action today reflects our commitment to that.”

INEX  and INEX officials ..make the right decision and enforce the Tread Depth Rule - give us a fair and level playing field. Sometimes the right decison is a tough decision.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 04:02:38 pm »
As far as the current tire I say no depth rule that way if you want to run one with the cords (belts) hanging out go ahead. These tires seem to get better the more you wear the tread off. They are not made for racing but I will not go down that path again.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 08:44:06 pm »
Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice president of competition. “As the sport’s sanctioning body, it is our responsibility to ensure there is a fair and level playing field for all of our competitors and this action today reflects our commitment to that.”

INEX  and INEX officials ..make the right decision and enforce the Tread Depth Rule - give us a fair and level playing field. Sometimes the right decison is a tough decision.
You are showing this as a quote. Is this a message you got from Mr. Pemberton?

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 09:43:43 am »
Steve,
That quote was from when Nascar threw Truex out of the Chase because Bowyer spun, not Legends related
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 08:32:11 pm »
Sorry! Been a little busy lately. Am a few days behind on the news. Got your quote though.
So then my question; What does that have to do with this tire discussion?
Just asking.  ???

Steve

Offline Toyotaracer

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 09:52:05 pm »
Sorry for my dry humor  - the quote was an an example of how a sanctioning body (NASCAR) took charge; made a tough decision  that tried to make the playing field level for all racers. I was suggestioning that INEX and INEX officials do the same thing with the current tire depth rule on the Federal tires i.e. enforcing the current tire rule equaling across the US.

I realize this thread has talked about three different topics:
1. a different tire of asphalt tires
2.  changing the tire depth rule
3. enforceing the "current" tire depth rule

I am NOT suggesting a new tire is needed, only pointing out that the tire depth rule is not being enforced the same by INEX officials and at numerous INEX sanctioned events.

I enjoy reading your comments.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 11:04:05 pm »
I do get the humor. Topics do take there twists and turns. Pavement and dirt can generate many different thoughts and ideas. Many tracks, that I've heard of over the years, have there share of tech issues. I think tracks tend to tech what they deem important. Most don't have staff, tools, etc... to deal with every situation. At this point, there are dirt and pavement tires; Rather than the generic tire for both. Sometimes things happen slowley; But I have seen change happening.

Steve

Offline Toyotaracer

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 11:56:21 pm »
Great comment!
I was just going to add that this time of year we get invited to numerous tracks to participate in special, end of year high dollar races, but.........we ONLY go (and spend our sponsor dallors) on those tracks  that have a strong technical inspections before, during and after the race - we allows finish better when we know the field of cars are policed and rules are enforced. I just wish more promoter/owners understood that - a good technical inspection will always produce a higher car count and more fans in the stands.

One more point - fans don't want to see one car dominate. They want to see side by side racing!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 12:05:54 am »
We know that fans don't like to see one car win week after week. Sometimes, the reason for that is that the racer has done his or her homework and gotten the set up down.
Just sayin'. Could there be some cheating going on? Perhaps. Until there is some uniformity to tech, that question may never get answered.

Steve

anything