Author Topic: gear indicator not working  (Read 6655 times)

Offline ba/thejafan

gear indicator not working
« on: September 18, 2013, 04:54:36 pm »
have digital indicator in car and only certain gears show on indicator during use, neutral, 1st and 3rd i believe. Does anyone have a idea what is causing this and what to do to get them all to show?  My first thought is the pins on the piece that connects to engine are not making contact on certain gears, can they be pulled out further to make better contact? Any thoughts/help is appreciated.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: gear indicator not working
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 06:22:08 pm »
Dirty contacts? Maybe Andrew can answer. He has been doing a lot of research on his gear indicator. Could be worn contacts. But I am just guessing.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 06:50:18 pm »
I had the neutral wire pull off so I have no neutral light...check to see if the wires are all attached to the sending unit

Dan

Offline ba/thejafan

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 01:37:49 pm »
thanks for the above suggestions, but all of those appear to in good order, any other ideas/suggestions? thanks

Offline amp racing

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 02:42:31 pm »
the light comes on when the wire is grounded.. put in desired gear and see if the wire is going to ground thew the motor....

joe

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 07:21:35 am »
have digital indicator in car and only certain gears show on indicator during use, neutral, 1st and 3rd i believe. Does anyone have a idea what is causing this and what to do to get them all to show?  My first thought is the pins on the piece that connects to engine are not making contact on certain gears, can they be pulled out further to make better contact? Any thoughts/help is appreciated.

The way these gear indicator "sending units" work is very simple. As mentioned in this thread, it's just creating a circuit.

There only a few reasons I can see only half of the gears showing:
  • the wires have become un~soldiered from the contact points on the sending unit
  • the wire was damaged and there are breaks somewhere in the line
  • the contact points are some how dirty
  • the gauge is failing
  • the sending unit plate has warped and can no longer make contact at certain gears

If everything looks to be ok, I'd pull out a multi-meter and start testing to see if you getting a signal from the sending unit.
  • disconnect the sending unit from the  gauge, you should now be able to test with multi-meter
  • find a spot on the frame that is bear metal, put one probe of the meter on bear spot an the other in one of the contacts of the plug on the sending unit.
  • you should be able to get a signal from one for the 6 contacts.
  • shift the trans into a different gear and repeat, If all give a signal than the sending unit is ok 

For the gauge you will need the ignition on.
  • Again use a bear spot on the frame for one probe and stick the other into a contact on the gauge's plug
  • Each contact point should light up a different gear on the gauge

Hope this helps
Andrew
Silly Tool Maker wants to make race car parts better, stronger, CHEAPER (in kit form) than the OEM! ( now he's trying to be a fabricator too! )