Author Topic: Oil Systems / cooler  (Read 34508 times)

Offline thunder938

Re: Oil Systems / cooler
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2010, 08:57:43 am »
in theory
Dave

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2010, 10:37:39 am »
I recently bought a new sealed engine from 600 and both ports on the pan were blocked off.  I'm not sure why you would want to pump oil from the system back into the bottom of the pan?  Seems like you would be using oil for no purpose that would be available for the rest of the system.

I put the new Hank Scott remote sustem on this engine....very nice.  Hank made it very clear the lower bypass must be shimmed or plugged.  He said 600 engines do not come shimmed or plugged.  He guided me through it and it was a simple process.  I was even able to remove the oil pan with the motor in the car.  The only issue with this system is that it placees the filter near the headers but I am making a heat shield to resolve that.  The heat shields will soon be available at http://www.legendsstuff.com/LegendsStuff.html
For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline thunder938

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2010, 12:01:45 pm »
Well the new motors come blocked off to get crap out of the oil system.  But a new built motor does have the valve shimmed and ready to use with a filter system like his.  I would NOT run a motor with the oil pan ports blocked off.  There is PSI on the front one. Its only like 25 psi, but its still there.
Dave

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010, 12:19:49 pm »
After a sleepless night, reading  and studying, Im just going to run a 4" line to/from the ports. It'll be the same as having a cooler there in the oiling systems "mind", and I wont be worried about taking a chance with the plugged off ports.

Thanks for the input guys...
Next question,

How do I stop procrastinating? We havent raced since the first week of September and I dont have either car near ready to go for the opener in 5 days?
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :P
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2010, 12:22:24 pm »
Ed,

As it is a remote filter, can you not run lines to place the filter farther away from the header?
Might still have to shield the lines if they are near the header though. Simple enough.

I'm in agreement with Dave as to why the engine comes with the plugs in it; Just to keep stuff out of the engine while shipping or in storage.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2010, 12:24:35 pm »
Jim,

First, you have to hook up the oil lines in the proper manner.
 :-[ Did I say that!? Oops!

Steve

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2010, 01:33:26 pm »
After a sleepless night, reading  and studying, Im just going to run a 4" line to/from the ports. It'll be the same as having a cooler there in the oiling systems "mind", and I wont be worried about taking a chance with the plugged off ports.

Jim,
          I got your messges this morning as well as your email. I have pasted my email response here as well. I gave you a version of the cooler I use. I do not buy from them website, but it was the first picture that came up when I Googled it.

If you have any other questions, call me I will be here today.

Randy - RPM

"Jim,

The oil pump is two stage pump and if you block off the front oil pan port, you force the pump to just bypass through the pressure relief making a ton of heat. I run mine out to a small cooler and back into the rear oil pan fitting. 

If you choose to run it to the remote oil filter adapter you have to shim the pressure relief so it doesn’t bypass let main galley pressure drop. And that oil is unfiltered. So do not run it to the head oiler/cams as it will tear up the head.

I use a Tru-cool cooler. They are really effective and cheap in cost. Just make sure that use rubber mounts it as it will break the solder joints if mounted ridged. Also if you use it, make sure you support the 1” hex with a wrench when installing the fitting(s) as I have had a couple of customers tear them off by just “tightening” the fitting. http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/2554/TRU_Cool_Oil_Coolers

Randy"
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010, 01:42:55 pm »
Thanks Randy, for all your help this off-season!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline DanH

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2010, 03:25:16 pm »
I recently bought a new sealed engine from 600 and both ports on the pan were blocked off.  I'm not sure why you would want to pump oil from the system back into the bottom of the pan?  Seems like you would be using oil for no purpose that would be available for the rest of the system.

I put the new Hank Scott remote sustem on this engine....very nice.  Hank made it very clear the lower bypass must be shimmed or plugged.  He said 600 engines do not come shimmed or plugged.  He guided me through it and it was a simple process.  I was even able to remove the oil pan with the motor in the car.  The only issue with this system is that it placees the filter near the headers but I am making a heat shield to resolve that.  The heat shields will soon be available at http://www.legendsstuff.com/LegendsStuff.html

I run the same system and don't feel that a heat shield is needed, temps stay good with the cooling system I have 600 3pass for the main and setrab 910 for the head.

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2010, 07:42:31 pm »
Hi Steve,
  The thing I like about the new remote filter mount is that it mounts to the engine and far less likely to be damaged in a crash.  Also, if you might be lucky enough to have more than one engine,  a remote filter adapter and lines could be mounted to each engine for easier swaps.
For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2010, 07:52:40 pm »
Hi Ed,

I have  used an Oberg filter (screen type) on all my race cars. It can be mounted anywhere via tapping the oil filter outlet and inlet, or using an adapter to do the same. Then I use braided lines to mount it out of the way. Granted, they are a bit pricey; But I really love them.

Steve

anything