Author Topic: compression??  (Read 6675 times)

Offline Legendcar78 NJ

compression??
« on: August 22, 2013, 08:10:19 pm »
So i checked my compression on my 1219 conversion engine,  i checked it while it was cold with no carbs on the engine. My numbers were 155, 160, 125, and 175, my concern is the low cylinder number 3. Now i no the engine wasnt warm when i checked and is suppose to be, do you guys think my cylinder 3 will come up when warm. id warm up my engine and check but my carbs are out being rebuilt. Im sure im just being overly worried but just want some oppions. I used a matco guage. Also the engine only has one race on it since rebuild and dyno. Thanks in advance

Offline Legends57x

Re: compression??
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:59:36 pm »
I just went thru the same exact scenario on my sealed 1250 engine last week and checked it both cold with no carbs and then hot with carbs, throttle wide open.  You can add approximately 10-15 PSI to your cold readings to get approx. hot compression readings.  One thing I would highly recommend would be to check your valve lash first, especially on low cylinder.  Remember .004-.006" intake lash and .006-.008" exhaust lash.  The cylinder the compression is low on could have a tight valve causing the low reading.

Good luck!  :)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline amp racing

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:09:04 am »
any time I have a question with low compression I do a cylinder leak test...

Offline Legendcar78 NJ

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 08:08:00 am »
Ya thats what i was thinking valve adjustment, i also performed leak down test with cylinder 3 at tdc on compression stroke and dint hear any air leaking so im pretty sure it could be vlave adjustment needed or just cause its cold, or even my guage idk. Thanks for the replys!

Gimpster

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 04:29:18 pm »
Hearing leak down ?? Might be surprised if you use the proper leak down gauge set and procedure..

Offline Legendcar78 NJ

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 06:47:39 pm »
Ya you put air to the cylinder when its at tdc on the compression stroke so you no all your valves are closed, if you see guage going down , or hear air leaking through exhaust you no its an exhaust valve, if you hear air from intake its obviosly an intake valve giving you the issue.  Im pretty sure thats correct , i may be wrong.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 09:30:53 pm »
BTW - Keep us posted on what you find.
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline amp racing

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 09:59:32 pm »
roll the cams til all the valves are closed..10 percent is my limit of concern....

joe

Offline Legendcar78 NJ

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 07:07:02 am »
 My carbs should be in next week sometime, so im gonna warm engine up and then try another compression test. Thanks for the replys il keep you guys posted! really hoping everything is fine being engine was just rebuilt 1 race ago