Author Topic: new to legends think I lost a engine! help please  (Read 12302 times)

Offline kbach racing

new to legends think I lost a engine! help please
« on: July 28, 2013, 10:16:16 pm »
I have researched this forum and found lots of great info. Thanks to all that share. This weekend my sealed 1250 was pumping oil it has maybe 15 races and usually runs strong. After practice car was covered in oil we had changed oil so we verified oil level was correct. Seemed a bit high compared to what I was told which was fill to line like a bike. We drained off alitte tell oil was about half way in view window and it still pumped oil with oil light on from end of straight through the turn. Then I was told to fill oil car at idle tell oil is 1/3 visible . I added a full court which I know overfilled it but oil was never visible in window with car at idle when car was shut off window was completly full window. I have tried multiple different oil levels and oil is never visible in window with the engine at idle. When I started car this evening it seems to have a loud tick or knock. Any info greatly appreciated. Plugs look good no oil in exhaust. Was thinking rings lined up or valves way to tight or time for the blitz

knoxracing

Re: new to legends think I lost a engine! help please
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 08:45:55 am »
From what I am reading you have an issue. I am not sure why you are not seeing oil in the window with the car running. Playing with the oil level and the light being on in the straight away has probably led to your knock. I would not race this motor unless it is expendable to you. I think the risk of destroying it is high at this point.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 11:59:07 am »
dennis  I am thinking the oil is not returning to the oil pan fast enough..its being pumped out under pressure but not returning resulting in oil starvation... hose or cooler pluged? some thing not right.

joe

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 03:01:04 pm »
Joe, anything is possible. I would be afraid at this point damage has been done, if there is a circulation issue it would need to be corrected.  I would think that if the oil is leaving it has to be moving through the system. More info on the type of system would help also, texas style, remote style, three port, etc.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 03:06:00 pm »
Whatever the issue, I think some damage has already been done. (When I started car this evening it seems to have a loud tick or knock.)
Never a good sign! Keep us posted.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 05:23:09 pm »
Whatever the issue, I think some damage has already been done. (When I started car this evening it seems to have a loud tick or knock.)
Never a good sign! Keep us posted.

Steve

True, but if it is indeed a plumbing issue, best to figure it out before the new/repaired engine gets put back in
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline kbach racing

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 10:36:45 pm »
It has large remote filter in front of left front tire and oil cooler with electronic fan. Breather goes from stock breather hole to catch can and has a return to oil fill cap. Not super familiar with these systems. The program started after an oil change is it possible that it was overfilled and created a siphon threw breather? Not sure What info will help so... would pics of oil system? Haven't started car since the bad noise. Could enough blow by cause that much crank case pressure to allow oil to not return to the pan?

Offline kbach racing

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 10:40:21 pm »
What drives oil pump is there a spring and check ball that could be stuck like a chevy type? I have never seen inside these engines but the seals about to get cut. Lol

Offline amp racing

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 11:31:45 pm »
oil pump gear driven.. check valves in oil pan,,,,
joe

Offline kbach racing

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 08:16:07 pm »
No obvious blockage in any oillines cooler or filters.  Any other ideas why oil would not be retuning to bottom end?

Offline amp racing

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 09:41:15 pm »
what oil system do you have?

Offline kbach racing

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 08:29:51 am »
Not really sure what system.  I will do some research and post what oil system type. I can't figure out how to post pictures.

knoxracing

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 10:30:03 am »
If you call me we can talk about your complete oil problem. I still believe at this point by the noise you are hearing the engine is damaged. Call me and we will figure out what you have and why you have this issue.

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 01:13:22 pm »
When you say "after practice the car was covered with oil..."

What was the reason it was covered in oil? Where were you leaking from? Did you run it after practice, or was the "noisy" restart the first time after?
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 03:31:19 pm »
mount a motorcycle engine sideways in a car and turn left, the oil ends up in the clutch and spit out the breather.....the faster you go the worse it is.  Put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it while you are at it if you wanna see some super duper engineering.  these cars have 0 oil pressure when you turn the steering wheel no matter what oil system you were sold, unless the oil pickup in the pan has been re-designed.