Author Topic: Red Box Smoking  (Read 9359 times)

Offline kgirard19

• Go Motorsports Shop
Red Box Smoking
« on: July 10, 2013, 07:09:09 am »
Well the subject says it all. I just swapped over to a new 1250 from a 1200. The wiring all seems to be right, but when i turn on power, the red box starts smoking and i get that whole wire burning smell. The weird thing is the car start and ran even with this issue. I'm just not sure what may have caused this all of a sudden with this engine change. I know it's not because of the engine, but something happened during the change over. I understand the redbox may be junk now and that's fine. I just want to know what may have cause this before I throw a new one on there and burn that one out too.

Thanks in advance.

www.GoMotorsportsShop.com
Kevin Girard Jr.
#19 Pro Division

knoxracing

Re: Red Box Smoking
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 09:11:15 am »
Are you using the red coils and blue pick up? How much wiring did you remove when you swapped motors? Make sure you are grounded and make sure you did not confuse the ground for another wire. There are not that many items connected to the box, basically the pick up, power in, ground and the coils. Feel free to call me anytime.

Offline kgirard19

• Go Motorsports Shop
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:29:16 am »
Are you using the red coils and blue pick up? How much wiring did you remove when you swapped motors? Make sure you are grounded and make sure you did not confuse the ground for another wire. There are not that many items connected to the box, basically the pick up, power in, ground and the coils. Feel free to call me anytime.

Yes we are using the red coils and blue pickup. we removed the 4 wires red, blue, white and whatever other ones come from the pickup. and those are easy enough because its just color matching. the ground seems to be fine too and that's why we're confused. the reason i swapped motors is because i broke a cam and screwed up the head. A decent amount of oil got on the firewall, thus the redbox. I don't know if any of that oil maybe got into the plug during that time, or maybe even when we were washing it after. Would that maybe cause a problem like this? and we may be calling you later. We're trying to race tomorrow and the new motor isn't even broken in yet. We just won't be able to until 5 p.m. Eastern or so
Kevin Girard Jr.
#19 Pro Division

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 09:14:37 pm »
You have some kind of short; Whether ground or bare wires. Follow your way back from the box and burt wires. Sure you will find it.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline kgirard19

• Go Motorsports Shop
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 06:31:40 am »
we got a new box and it fixed the problem. We hooked everything up after we washed it and I think there was some water in the plug or something.
Kevin Girard Jr.
#19 Pro Division

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 06:42:58 am »
Thanks for the update.
I hope all goes well for you now.

Steve

knoxracing

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 09:10:59 am »
For those interested.

We NEVER spray a Legend car with water. NO MATTER WHAT!
Washing your Legend car is just not a good idea. There are multiple reasons NOT to do this. One tip I will give everyone, always apply never  seize to your heim joints when you install them. Aluminum rods with steel heim joints will always seize  or tighten from the metallic difference ESPECIALLY when wet. If you blow an engine or have an oil leak, use a solvent, brake parts cleaner or such. LOL, THIS MAY NOT APPLY TO DIRT RACERS!!!!!!!!!

Gimpster

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 02:37:45 pm »
Once upon a time an asphalt racer took a vacation to a land far, far away (Dirtville).  As he walked up to a racer that he seen while he was pressure washing his dirt car he said "No, no.. STOP ! You will short your wiring out !!" The dirt racer calmly laid down his pressure washer wand and said to the asphalt feller "You never heard the legend of Fishville ?". "Legend of Fishville ?", the asphalt racer asked while scratching his forehead. "Yes another land far far away", commented the dirt racer.." A caveman was out there fishing in his boat and shorted his wiring so he had to paddle back home when his motor electrical fried and wouldn't run. When he docked his boat at his cave, he blew his connectors out with compressed air and got to thinking before he reconnected the connection, and a light bulb lit inside his mellon.... The Legend of Dielectric Grease was born..."
The asphalt racer walked away with a HUGE smile from the knowledge he had gained at the dirt racer's place and they both lived happily... without shorts in the wiring... ever after.

~Gimpster~

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 04:37:50 pm »
Definately does not apply to dirt racers, I've never had electrical issues from washing my car after every race, but I do not use a pressure washer either, and am careful around the engine compartment
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 08:28:42 pm »
Hope someone gets the dielectrical grease story. I even use it on connectors on my street cars.
Thanks for the tip Gimp!

Steve

Offline canabl

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 11:33:31 pm »
we wack a plastic shopping bag over the coils, another over filters, spray on a truck wash solution and let it sit for ten minutes and blow away the clay with mains pressure hose. Never had any electrical concerns but alsways blow out excess water from engine bay before we go to fire it up, im sure the motorbikes get wet when they are used on the road....

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 11:39:50 pm »
Adam,

I do all that too. Race cars sit for a week or more before most people pay any attention to them.
That is why there are checklists that we go through. We tend to forget the little things.

Steve

anything