Author Topic: Oil Filter backed off  (Read 9150 times)

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
Oil Filter backed off
« on: July 07, 2013, 03:04:15 pm »
Our oil filter backed off  during the race this weekend. When the oil hit ground he spun in it and says the motor shut down. I hollered at him, over the radio, to shut it down and he said it already had. It will spin over as it sits right now. Should we be worried?

Thanks,
Robert

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Oil Filter backed off
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 04:52:48 pm »
He probably didnt put the clutch in fast enough and stalled it.
Personally, I'd fill it up, prime the system, and see if it runs.
thats just me though, I'm sure you will get other, much more technical, advice
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Gimpster

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 05:10:30 pm »
 If it was a sealed motor, what Jim said is all you can do. One precaution over and beyond that would be to remove the valve cover and put oil over the cam lobes and make sure the valleys for the follewer buckets have oil in them. Take an oil can and lube the cams through the valve cover bolt holes. Don't start the motor after you put the valve cover back on. Crank it over with the ignition off, with the starter.  Don't crank more than 30 seconds at a time and let the starter cool for a few minutes after cranking. Do this for about 5 to 10 times or until the oil lines are bleed. Generally the top end starves from oil first. Start it up and let it idle while bleeding the oil lines again. After some idle time when done bleeding, ease into the throttle and off, not gaining more than a couple thousand rpms at each throttle lift after decelerating. Leave a little idle time between rpm increases to get the oil system back up and going as well as other engine parts good and coated again... good luck

~Gimpster~

Offline amp racing

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 05:45:23 pm »
gimpster do you bleed the oil lines with the motor running?

joe

Gimpster

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 06:59:32 pm »
 On fresh built or shipped engines, engines that have been upside down and in cases like this I do have the line totally off to rid of air pockets. I also have the top end oiler lines off on those equiped engines to make sure of the least amount of air is in the lines. Once sure of good oil flow, I turn off the engine and install the lines, fire it up with said fittings loose to get rid of the rest of the air in the system. Then snug them up and clean off excess oil that has leaked out of the line fittings.  On engines I know that are good or were just running normally, like during routine oil changes I just crack the lines to make sure there is no air pockets with the engine idling. Messy but the only way to make sure.  (pressure is suceptible to vacuum air pockets causing oil starvation so better safe than sorry)

~G~

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 07:25:51 pm »
Thanks for comments. I feel a little better about restarting it now.

Robert

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 08:42:12 pm »
Also, make sure you have the proper oil filter. I remember Ethan having a problem awhile back. The treads may seem right, but may not be.
Just something to take note of.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 02:44:20 pm »
I have a spin-on oil filter adapter and done extensive searches for filters with the proper threads. I was using a Purolator L20073 which meets those specs. I have been using this filter for 2 years without failure. I am totally baffled as to why it happened. I am assuming that the filter adapter from RPM is the only one out there.

Robert

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 03:11:34 pm »
Robert,

There are some other filter adapters out there. I don't think that is your issue. Randy's adapter is as good as anyone elses. Try contacting him and see if you can determine the cause.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 04:46:40 pm »
I have a spin-on oil filter adapter and done extensive searches for filters with the proper threads. I was using a Purolator L20073 which meets those specs. I have been using this filter for 2 years without failure. I am totally baffled as to why it happened. I am assuming that the filter adapter from RPM is the only one out there.

Robert

I use the 4 port oil filter adapter from speedway motors (ford threads) with the Fram PH8A filter and have never had any issues.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 06:54:57 pm »
My adapter is 20x.15mm threads.

There are several others out there that use the 3/4X16"" thread that is found on a lot of American automotive filters.

The threads are close engine that they can screw onto each thread, but the thread engagement is not correct.

You should get a thread gauge and see which thread pitch gauge fits better.

16 or 1.5

One more thing to make sure is that you do not over tighten the filter. It puts too much compression on the gasket and they can fail which the results in a loose filter.

Follow the manufactures tightening instructions and if concerned about it coming loose, safety wire it on.

...and finally, when priming the engine, remove the two valve cover bolts closest to the firewall. This is the final pressurized oiling point of the FJ. When the oil flows out of those two bolt holes without any air bubbles the engine is primed. I do stop a few times when doing it so the air can travel to the top through the oil oil that is still in the galleys. I do this procedure after every oil change, this ensures the oil is where it is supposed to be before starting it.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 07:15:59 pm »
I pulled the plug today and I got 1 1/2 quarts from the oil pan and the filter pretty full. This makes happy knowing there was oil in it. the gasket to the oil filter was no longer engaged with the filter. I remember reaching in and giving the filter a turn to make sure it was tight before the the last practice. But he went for 7 laps of qualifying and 17 laps of racing before it let go. Think I over tightened it?

Robert

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 08:04:16 pm »
If you were tightening by hand, I doubt it. It is when guys put a wrench in it and crank it down.

If you used the 20mm metric filter, the Purolator filter you are running on the 3/4" (or 19mm) thread. then the engagement is not correct. You really need to check the thread pitch of the adapter you have.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

anything